Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > question about sanitizing bottles in the dishwasher.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
scottab
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default question about sanitizing bottles in the dishwasher.

How long after sanitized and cooled must the bottles be filled by? How long are the bottles still considered sanitized?

Old 04-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
glenn514
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 46

My bottles are somewhat warm to the touch when I fill them. I wouldn't think you'd want to wait any length of time...the sooner, the better. Beyond that, I wouldn't want to speculate.

glenn514

Old 04-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
pannell77
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I usually leave mine in the dishwasher for a couple hours to cool down before bottling, but i left a batch in there overnight before and everything turned out fine but I never opened the the dishwasher until it was bottling time.

Handmade Chalkboard and Dry Erase Tap Handles

We are one of the few that offer a Black Dry Erase version tap handle and we have some of the lowest prices on the market.

Custom Idea? No problem, just shoot us an email with your thoughts and we can work it out together.

AleYeahDesign@gmail.com

My Keezer Build

Old 04-08-2013, 06:39 AM   #4
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 544 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 183

It's like how long can you go before pitching yeast into your wort. It just depends how much chance you want to take of an infection. The longer, the greater the chance.

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!
amandabab Likes This 
Old 04-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclman View Post
It's like how long can you go before pitching yeast into your wort. It just depends how much chance you want to take of an infection. The longer, the greater the chance.
Not really, if the bottles are sanitized leaving them upside down in a clean dishwasher or covered with foil will leave them sanitized indefinitely. Bacteria can't crawl or spontaneously form, it move around on fingers and surfaces and dust particles. It should be fine to leave the bottles in there as long as you need to.

Wort is different because unless you're no-chilling properly or being very thorough about protecting your wort from dust particles you likely have a tiny bit of bacteria/wild yeast in there and it's good to pitch your huge population of brewer's yeast to overwhelm the possible contaminants before they get a foothold.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:07 AM   #6
scottab
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Well i wound up leaving the bottles in the dishwasher for only a couple of hours... the sanitation problem i ran into though had nothing to do with bottles.... i made up my priming solution sanitized my bottle bucket, racking cane, transfer tube, etc... dumped my priming solution and started racking my finished beer.. about 5 minutes and 1-2 gallons into the transfer and i start to see the towel i have the bucket on getting damp and don't know why. So i tilt the bucket up and look at the spigot, it seems to be loose which is strange. I try to tighten a little but it seems to be moving around way too much... i then realize that the spigot has broken... luckily i had a spare i sanitized the spare and washers then replaced it. Unfortunately i had beer and priming solution in the bucket at the time and didn't dump... i spot sprayed my sanitizer solution over any spots i touched and hopefully did not contaminate my bsga to a point where the alcohol in it won't kill any bad things.