I never made a 'real' hard cider before so decided to give it a go. My idea in the past was to get fresh pressed local cider and let it sit outside a week until the jug would 'puff up'.
Just had to share this story!
Simple recipe, cause I am too busy lately.
- 5 Gallons of store bought apple juice without preservatives.
- WLP775 English Cider yeast, strait out of the tube.
This took about 20 minutes.
- Glass 6 gallon carboy, sanitized with starsan.
- Spray juice bottles from store with sanitizer let sit for 2 minutes.
- Sanitize a funnel.
- Sanitize the yeast tube. As it comes up to room temperature.
- Dump in 2 Gallons of Juice with much agitation into carboy.
- Dump in yeast.
- Dump in rest of Apple juice.
- Put on sanitzed Air lock
10 days later, its clear so i transferred off of the lee's. When I tasted it it was so good me and my crew drank 2 gallons of it. It was not carbonated but all agreed it was really really good and carbonating will make it even better.
Had 5 more gallon of Juice and dropped it right on top the yeast cake and 7 days later we were drinking that. NO off flavors and clear and nice apple flavor.
Now I agree with no added sugar it's not very high alcohol but soooooo easy!
But I have seen no need to wait to clear or mellow so far. This taste better than any commercial ciders I've had.
WLP775 English Cider yeast is a wonderful yeast!
Next batch will add some sugars. See if this causes some of the need to wait longer to clear or mellow, which it most likely will.
So if your looking for a quick way to get something in the fridge, take note!