Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wild Yeast Capture Attempt 1

Old 05-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #51
reed1911
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Well, even with the small growths on the plate I went ahead and nabbed some, ran in 1 cup of 1.030 for a week on the stir plate, smelled slightly fruity more spice than fruit though, cold crashed for 2 days, just upped it to a 1/2L last night and even on the stir plate it has a 1" krausen on it and looking good. I plan to let that go for a week and then make a gal 1.045-1.050 with some Saaz and let it ride and see how it tastes. I'll update here what it looks like. I went ahead and left the plates growing I had selected two colonies from each plate for the best bet on my end. In the event that it is terrible I will select another set and try it again, if it has the same aroma though I won't bother stepping it up. Not pessimistic, just like to plan for all contingencies.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:05 AM   #52
theonetrueruss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1911 View Post
Well, even with the small growths on the plate I went ahead and nabbed some, ran in 1 cup of 1.030 for a week on the stir plate, smelled slightly fruity more spice than fruit though, cold crashed for 2 days, just upped it to a 1/2L last night and even on the stir plate it has a 1" krausen on it and looking good. I plan to let that go for a week and then make a gal 1.045-1.050 with some Saaz and let it ride and see how it tastes. I'll update here what it looks like. I went ahead and left the plates growing I had selected two colonies from each plate for the best bet on my end. In the event that it is terrible I will select another set and try it again, if it has the same aroma though I won't bother stepping it up. Not pessimistic, just like to plan for all contingencies.

sounds awesome..

I just re-streaked my plates tonight. Will snag some colonies in a few days and get something going with them. Still super excited. I am feeling hopeful. I did put some samples of the old plates into slants but they are definitely not single colony samples. keeping them for.. well.. not sure.. but keeping them.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #53
reed1911
Recipes 

2 days later and the Krausen has fallen, big sweet banana smell from it, I'm getting anxious to use this now.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #54
theonetrueruss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

make beer.. sounds like it should work... I figure in a couple days I'll pick some colonies and start growing them up. I am planning a 3G batch split three ways with a small starter from each colony. That will give me some things to taste and see which one I like best (if any are palatable of course) and then that one gets grown up, saved on some slants, etc and goes into a 5G batch.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #55
reed1911
Recipes 

Cold-crashed over the weekend, will brew up a gallon this week and let her rip. Lots of banana and bubblegum with some funk at the end. I did not detect the funk much, but my bloodhound-nosed wife did. So long as it makes beer I'll drink it, pleasing her OTOH is sometimes a challenge, but if it does everyone else will like it. She's my best critic!

Old 05-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #56
Brulosopher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 259 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1911
Cold-crashed over the weekend, will brew up a gallon this week and let her rip. Lots of banana and bubblegum with some funk at the end. I did not detect the funk much, but my bloodhound-nosed wife did. So long as it makes beer I'll drink it, pleasing her OTOH is sometimes a challenge, but if it does everyone else will like it. She's my best critic!
Pics, we want pics!

Old 05-07-2013, 02:59 AM   #57
theonetrueruss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

ok, so I finally got some plates that I could pull a few colonies off of. Just did that. Used 1 isolated colony per slant. Hopefully they grow in the slants then I will do sample 3G batch split between three 1G jugs each with one of the yeasts.

The picture is a but blury but you can see the yeast in the plates. One of the plates I was still too heavy handed with and didn't get enough separation but there was plenty on the other two that I could use.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yeast Plates.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	120508  

Old 05-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #58
xtian116
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Subscribing.

I was lazy last weekend and forgot my cylinder with hydrometer out for two days. When I went to clean it, I noticed that the reading had dropped from 1.056 to 1.038 and there were signs of fermentation. It smelled good so I put it in a sterilized jar and added some starter. I now have who knows what growing and bubbling away, smells good, so I'm going to brew sometime this week and toss it in a five gallon batch and see what happens.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #59
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I have a few wild tests going, including the one in the picture here. Nice pellicle on this one. BUT, I used juice in this to drop the pH. I used 30% grapefruit juice in the wort for the initial capture of this stuff, then stepped it up with 250 ml of wort to 25 ml of lemon juice. No mold, just a nice looking pellicle, IMHO. Because of the juice, though, I can't properly judge the character. Smells like citrus!

So, that being the case, I want to chill this, decant and make a normal starter and see what I have here. With that in mind, what's the deal with that pellicle? Should I try to decant that off and just pitch what's settled? Or is it composed of top cropping yeast?

For the record, I have 4 sets of tests going. 2 used juice in the initial wort and both have what seems to be a better result, ie no mold and a nice fermentation. The 2 without juice both have white and green mold growing on them. Collection times and wort were different though, so it's not a proper control.

Base wort here at the start was Black IPA wort taken from a batch I brewed. Just siphoned off a bit after chilling. So, heavy hops here could have helped in addition to the juice.

Name:	DSC01051_800.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	120618  

Old 05-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #60
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 37

For comparison, here's one of the other tests with the mold growing on it.

These are both wort in jars, not petri dishes.

Base wort at the start was leftover from an APA I brewed. Some hops but not a lot.

Name:	DSC01042_800.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	120620