Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wild Yeast Capture Attempt 1

Old 04-13-2013, 04:44 AM   #21
theonetrueruss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryoung1980 View Post
http://youtu.be/L3sijnoW5HU

Check out this video from Brewing TV. Jeremy in the video works at Northern Brewer here in Milwaukee. He successfully isolated a native Wisconsin yeast for Lakefront Brewery to use.
that was one of the many tings that made me want to pursue this.. wish they would make more episodes

Old 04-13-2013, 04:51 AM   #22
theonetrueruss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANSTAAFB View Post
It will be interesting to see what you come up with in that neck of the woods. Are you rural or urban? I plan to do something like this here in VERY rural Colorado. Keep us posted!
I live in the burbs... so it was rural but now not so much though still far from any real downtown. Right now my hopes are high since it looks like I have some fermentation happening. I expect to have some yeast... the real question will be what kind of beer will it make well.. if any?

You should definitely give it a try in CO... i am having a blast just seeing what happens.

Slant up some of what you get and if mine is worth a damn we can talk about trading some yeast.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #23
aryoung1980
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonetrueruss
wish they would make more episodes
I think Chip from BTV is still making episodes under a new name on YouTube now. I still haven't found it though. I saw a post by him somewhere on HBT but I forgot where. If I find the new videos I'll post a link here for you.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #24
MrNickVT
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1002 Times on 674 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryoung1980

I think Chip from BTV is still making episodes under a new name on YouTube now. I still haven't found it though. I saw a post by him somewhere on HBT but I forgot where. If I find the new videos I'll post a link here for you.
That would be great. I may even be able to meet the guy in person

Old 04-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #25
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryoung1980 View Post

Chop & Brew!!!!!!
Bottled: Grizzly Saison, Grizzly Brett, Session Pale, Colorado Cream Ale, Cranberry Apfelwein
Primary: -37* Blue Balls Baltic Porter, Bad Dog Brown, Bohemian Pilsner
Secondary: Rarely!!!
Future: Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale

Old 04-13-2013, 11:12 PM   #26
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonetrueruss View Post

I live in the burbs... so it was rural but now not so much though still far from any real downtown. Right now my hopes are high since it looks like I have some fermentation happening. I expect to have some yeast... the real question will be what kind of beer will it make well.. if any?

You should definitely give it a try in CO... i am having a blast just seeing what happens.

Slant up some of what you get and if mine is worth a damn we can talk about trading some yeast.
Might be a while before I jump into capturing & slanting, but hell yes I'll swap yeast with you...wait...that didn't sound right...
Bottled: Grizzly Saison, Grizzly Brett, Session Pale, Colorado Cream Ale, Cranberry Apfelwein
Primary: -37* Blue Balls Baltic Porter, Bad Dog Brown, Bohemian Pilsner
Secondary: Rarely!!!
Future: Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale

Old 04-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #27
aryoung1980
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANSTAAFB

Chop & Brew!!!!!!
Thanks!

Old 04-13-2013, 11:34 PM   #28
Pratzie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Im thinking of trying this now. Wonder if it would work well in a saison?
Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 04-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #29
theonetrueruss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Things are slow going. I measured again and the change in gravity was barely perceptible. I just added a pinch of yeast energizer to see if that helps it along. I am worried that whatever yeast I have is very weak and may not be suitable for the intended purpose.

Not giving up on this attempt yet though. Another week before I know.

And of course if this isn't a success... I'll be on to attempt #2! Never giving up.. I know this can work.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #30
reed1911
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thought I'd join you in this. My son (8) and I set up the experiment, we made some 1.030 wort, let it sit out from 5:30-9:00 in the back yard, transferred to a 1gal jug and air locked it. Within a day we had noticeable sediment, it still had a sweet smell, day 2 had a noticeable funk and rotten smell, day 3 the same, day 4 the funk stayed and the rotten smell had gone away. It had the smell of a good Belgium brew. We went to Hobby Lobby and they have a petridish set of 2 and agar for 2.99. went home and made a 1/2 and 1/2 agar wort mix, boiled and set to cool. sterilized the counter and equipment and used a paperclip for the yeast loop. We inoculated the two dishes and are waiting to see what we grow. We live in a neighborhood, however we are surrounded by quite a few open fields, and being in OK its always windy and fairly flat. Assuming we can harvest a good colony, we'll set up a starter on the stir plate (tornado maker we built a few weekends ago) and go from there. I'm thinking of using a Belgium blond recipe, assuming the yeast has a good funk to it.

porky_pine Likes This