Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is it possible to ferment to long?

Old 04-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
argodzilla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is it possible to ferment to long?

So I have a brown that I just racked from primary to secondary after 2 weeks in primary. I am going to leave it in secondary for a week and bottle next Saturday. If I decided to leave it for an additional week in secondary..the beer will be a month old. Is there a risk that too much yeast will flocculate out and there won't be enough left in suspension to carb the beer?

Old 04-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
Effingbeer
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts

No. You are good for a looong time actually.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2869 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

some of us leav e our beers in primary for a month or more, on purpose, skipping secondary and opting for a long primary instead.. Remember, your beer isn't FERMENTING that long. A beer will only ferment til the yeast eats all the sugars. After that the beer is conditioning.

So no there's no such thing as "fermenting too long" because a beer only ferments as long as it needs to.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
Pelican521
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

I'm actually bottling a moose drool brown ale clone today that I had in the primary for 2 weeks and the secondary for 2 weeks.

I could've just kept it in the primary the whole time but I needed to free up my bucket for bottling another brew.

I figure it could benefit with the 2 weeks in the secondary to help it mellow out in bulk. Not sure if it needed the 2 weeks, but figure it couldn't hurt either...