Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Does anyone have a easy beer recipe for a beginner?

Old 04-07-2013, 03:30 AM   #11
DerekJ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by klowneyy View Post
I have a 5 gal brew kettle, 2 5 gal carboys 2 1 gal carboys, hydrometer and everything you need to rack and bottle
Ok...it sounds like you have a pretty good start with equipment.

I see two options from here that don't involve buying extra equipment.

1. Extract - We can get you set up with a recipe that utilizes dry or liquid extract. Some of these will use steeping grains and some don't. The extract is just a concentrate that has resulted from a company mashing grain for you. It is the easiest form of brewing but has a couple draw backs. It is difficult to make a light colored beer and many people say that extract beers have a "twang" taste.

2. BIAB - BIAB stands for Brew in a Bag. It is all grain brewing without a mashtun. You use your brew kettle to perform the mash. All you would need to do is go to your local hardware store and pick up a paint strainer bag like this.

Which way would you like to go?

Also, do you have a particular style of beer you would like to make?

Old 04-07-2013, 03:34 AM   #12
Gammon N Beer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Amber's and darker beer will work with newer brewers. They tend to hid off flavors that may turn beginning brewers against the hobby. IMHO stay with the classic recommendations offered here. Go with recipes from well known brewers or established stock houses. It's about learning and success at this level.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:38 AM   #13
hbrew85
Recipes 

Cascade Pale ale
7lbs light LME
2 o.z. cascade 60 min
1 o.z. cascade 10 min
ale yeast

cheers 17

Old 04-07-2013, 04:07 AM   #14
martiniw2olives
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 35

My first batch was a simple American pale ale using about 7 pounds of light LME and 2 ounces cascade hops at full boil for one hour. It was great.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:11 AM   #15
klowneyy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekJ

Ok...it sounds like you have a pretty good start with equipment.

I see two options from here that don't involve buying extra equipment.

1. Extract - We can get you set up with a recipe that utilizes dry or liquid extract. Some of these will use steeping grains and some don't. The extract is just a concentrate that has resulted from a company mashing grain for you. It is the easiest form of brewing but has a couple draw backs. It is difficult to make a light colored beer and many people say that extract beers have a "twang" taste.

2. BIAB - BIAB stands for Brew in a Bag. It is all grain brewing without a mashtun. You use your brew kettle to perform the mash. All you would need to do is go to your local hardware store and pick up a paint strainer bag like this.

Which way would you like to go?

Also, do you have a particular style of beer you would like to make?
I was thinking about making a stout for my first brew. I would like to do all grain of possible

Old 04-07-2013, 04:27 AM   #16
martiniw2olives
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Okay so you want to get serious. This is not a stout , but an amazing robust porter that I get tons of compliments for.

Grain Bill:
10 lbs. Two row
1 lbs. Caramel/Crystal Malt
8 Oz. Brown Malt
4 Oz. Briess Roasted Barley

Hop Schedule:
1 Oz. Chinook, Full 60 minute boil

Yeast:
one package Safale US-05

Mash Temp 153

Old 04-07-2013, 04:55 AM   #17
DerekJ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Sounds good. I suggest you go with something like this.

This is a recipe for a 5 gallon batch. You are not going to be able to do a full boil in your 5 gallon pot. That is ok though. You can boil about 4 galllons and then top up with water in the fermenter. You also only have a 5 gallon fermenter so you will need a blow off tube.

Or, you could just do a 4 gallon batch. If you decide to go this route you can place your order using this recipe.

4.75 lbs Maris Otter
1.5 lbs flaked barley
.75 lbs roasted barley
1.25 oz Cluster
1 package S 04 yeast
1 bag of priming sugar

Good Luck! Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #18
hehawbrew
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts

I'm a noob with just a few gallon beer brews under my belt ( which are now in my gut). My LHBS has recipes at their store and they are nice enough to help scale down the recip3 from 5 gallons down to one. I started with one gallons and am now doing two gallon batches. The wife has seen the fruits of home brewing and is going to let me scale up to 5 gallons in may!

Listen to these guys tho! This forum is more valuable than any brew kit and most youtube videos!

Old 04-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #19
klowneyy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehawbrew
I'm a noob with just a few gallon beer brews under my belt ( which are now in my gut). My LHBS has recipes at their store and they are nice enough to help scale down the recip3 from 5 gallons down to one. I started with one gallons and am now doing two gallon batches. The wife has seen the fruits of home brewing and is going to let me scale up to 5 gallons in may!

Listen to these guys tho! This forum is more valuable than any brew kit and most youtube videos!
Thanks i will do. I am also lucky enough where I live in a brewers club. Bellingham brewers guild. Witch I am going to be joining so I'm hoping that will also help a lot lol

Old 04-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #20
klowneyy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekJ
That's kind of a tall order but I will try to help. Let's start with a few questions.

1. What type of equipment do you have? Are you looking for an extract recipe, partial mash, all grain?
2. What style of beer would you like to brew? IPA, Amber ale, Stout, etc.

As a general rule most kits from places like More Beer, Austins, and Northern Brewer are pretty easy and proven recipes. The directions that come with these kits leave a lot to be desired.
Ok I just picked up a 5 gal paint strainer and a digital temperature gage