Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Whirlpool Fail. Tips please.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:35 AM   #1
IL1kebeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I just can't seem to get whirlpooling down. Not even a little bit. Absolutely no trub cone or any type of trub settling with my procedure. I also us a kettle with a spigot, not a siphon. Here's my procedure. Please correct or give advice:

Whirfloc @ 5 min
Let kettle sit for 10 mins after flameout
Run immersion wort chiller for 35 mins
Whirlpool for 2 mins
Let sit for 30 mins before racking to fermenter

Old 04-07-2013, 03:04 AM   #2
DocScott
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 90 Posts

How are you whirlpooling? I think the problem may lie in your whirlpool process and length of time. 2 minutes is quite short. Give us more info and we can help

Old 04-07-2013, 03:12 AM   #3
brewkinger
AdirondacKinger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 289 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 315

I have a theory that I have tested twice and want to do another couple of tests to make sure.

Your process above is roughly the same as mine, I use moss at 10 min
Chill with ic
Put it wherever gonna transfer from and give it a good stirring for about 30 seconds. Nothing to violent, just constant stir.

When it comes to opening the ball valve to drain, I start very slowly and increase slowly as I go.
The pressure exerted by the volume of wort at the valve creates a strong enough suction to actually draw materials from the central pile.
My last two batches have been relatively clear of tribe with a large pile in the middle.

PRIMARY: Centennial Blonde
BOTTLED: Razapple Wine- Vintage 2014
BOTTLED: SNPA Clone
KEGGED:
PLANNING: Blackbird Haus Pale Ale
PLANNING: A Lil' More Ordinary
Do not mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you will remember about me.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:55 AM   #4
IL1kebeer
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewkinger
When it comes to opening the ball valve to drain, I start very slowly and increase slowly as I go.
I will try that next time.

As for my actually whirlpool technique. I just stir as fast as I can for 2 minutes.