Mash temp for partigyle? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Mash temp for partigyle?

Old 04-07-2013, 12:02 AM   #1
EaglePoint
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Norman, Oklahoma
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm about to start my first partigyle, the mash water is on the stove and the grains are in my MLT. The first runnings I'm planning on making a barleywine, and with 21 pounds of grain, I'm thinking I should be mashing low (~150) so I don't get too high of an FG. However, I'm planning on souring my second runnings with the Roselaire blend, and for that I think I'd want a higher temp to make sure there's plenty for the bugs to eat.

Any suggestions on how to compromise between these two mash temps? All I can think of so far is mashing between the two preferred temps and adding the pound of panela/piloncillo I have to the barleywine to dry it back out.

For completeness, here's my grain bill:
14lb pale malt
4lb munich
1lb special B
1lb Chocolate
0.5lb crystal 40
0.5lb crystal 80

additional adjuncts at my disposal:
1lb dark candi syrup
1lb table sugar
1lb panela
1lb molasses