SWMBO's being a pain! - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > SWMBO's being a pain!

Old 04-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
Keith66

Recipes 

Mar 2013
Placerville, CA
Liked 261 Times on 180 Posts

Swmbo and I both like good beer, mostly Belgian and Bavarian. Swmbo and I both hate paying high prices for good beer. Swmbo and I both keep our consumption down because of the price. Swmbo suggested that I try homebrewing. I brew good beer and cider; swmbo like what I brew. I do too! Now swmbo gives me sh!t and says "All you ever drink anymore is beer. I don't want to be married to an alcoholic or a drunk. It's bad for your kidneys and liver." Granted, now that I have more beer on hand for much less money, I'm drinking more. I used to drink a beer or three per week. I would love to have drunk more, but it was too expensive. Now I drink a beer or three per day. Sure, that's a 700% increase, if you want to look at it that way, but it's not like I'm getting drunk, maybe a little buzz every other day or so. Swmbo used to drink a beer or two each week, and sometimes wouldn't finish them. Now she drinks a beer or cider every day or two, so she's up quite a bit too. I have never had addictive tendencies, though maybe obsessive/compulsive. I think eventually the newness of homebrew will die down and I'll probably drink less, maybe a few brews per week. What's been your guy's experience?
Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Apple Cider, Helles Bock

Old 04-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
BrewerinBR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Big Rapids, Michigan
Liked 141 Times on 107 Posts

If SWMBO is concerned and you care for SWMBO then maybe take a week off from drinking completely. See how it goes, if you find it hard to go a full 7 days without a beer maybe you should consider more seriously what she is saying.

I started drinking more when I started homebrewing and SWMBO said she was concerned. I quit for a week and found it more than challenging. Then I took more seriously what she was saying.

at least IMHO

Basement Brew Room Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/base...-house-247971/

"Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world." -Theodore Roosevelt

Pappers_ Likes This 
Old 04-06-2013, 10:57 PM   #3
Keith66

Recipes 

Mar 2013
Placerville, CA
Liked 261 Times on 180 Posts

Sounds like good advice. I've gone for weeks before without a drink and never even realized it. Might be worth a try this time. Thanks.
Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Apple Cider, Helles Bock

Old 04-06-2013, 11:04 PM   #4
Flykilbosa
Recipes 

Mar 2013
Rochester, NY
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Home brewing does that to all of us (I think)....my intake went up when I first started, but I go a week or so here and there to "cleanse" my liver. If you have a problem, you better stop brewing though!

Old 04-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
fizgig
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2013
Royal Oak, MI
Liked 46 Times on 37 Posts

I find there's plenty of time to drink beer after the wife goes to bed. Also keeps me from drinking too much with such a late start.

martiniw2olives Likes This 
Old 04-06-2013, 11:28 PM   #6
KingKlong
Recipes 

May 2012
Kernersville, NC
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I can't keep my fridge full enough to drink more than one a day. Life only allows me to brew about once a month. So me and mine find other things to but heads over.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:45 PM   #7
Hoppity
Just brew it!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Port Chester, NY
Liked 254 Times on 154 Posts

I don't drink anymore... but I don't drink any less.

People Like This 
Old 04-07-2013, 02:50 AM   #8
Zuljin
TR Fitness King

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Defiance
Liked 5519 Times on 4670 Posts

You need to drink more. A lot more. Start downing six or more a day. Then, when she's about ready to leave or kill you, tone it back to one to three a day. It'll look like you've really cut back, but really you just got what you want. It's like selling cars. Set a high number and get whittled down... to your real price.

People Like This 
Old 04-07-2013, 02:56 AM   #9
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!

Recipes 

Apr 2008
Goodells, MICHIGAN
Liked 53 Times on 47 Posts

Find the SWMBO an addictive hobby! Then your good to drink as much as you want :-)

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder

Old 04-07-2013, 03:24 AM   #10
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts

When hubby gets like that, I just appease him and quit drinking for a week. By the end of the week, he is begging me to just have a beer and relax. Nothing like a couple homebrews for a good night's rest. Just go easy on them and you'll be fine. Act all happy and go-lucky when you've got a beer or 3 to drink, then get all pissy when you don't have any. It's like learned behavior, your other half will say, wow, he's such a nicer guy when he's got a beer in his hand.

People Like This