Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Kind of scared

Old 04-07-2013, 01:15 AM   #11
Toga
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Let it ride. Yes you are under pitching a bit but not to worry. Just rehydrate the yeast. To do so Boil water for 10 min, cool to 75-80 degrees, add yeast and stir it up. Cover with foil for a half hour then add it to your wort. I have pitched a single pack into a brew that is as strong without re-hydrating the yeast and it came out fine.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:26 AM   #12
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 189 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I vote "let it ride". Don't know your recipe details, but a "dark wheat" as you posted probably has enough other flavor components to mask any minor off flavors. Wheat beers don't have "clean" flavor profiles anyway. I expect it will just start slow and maybe finish a bit high, but otherwise probably be OK.

Re pitching rate: according to BeerSmith for a 1.086OG, 5.00 gallons, you need 26.38g of dry yeast (WB-06 comes in 11.5g packets).

Something to consider for high gravity brews in the future: appropriate pitching levels and aerating the wort. Both help it get off to a good start and reduce the odds of off flavors or other ferm problems.

See Fermentis web site for re-hydration instructions. With dry yeast, I have re-hydrated and then pitched into a starter to step up with no ill effects.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:30 AM   #13
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 872 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 270

Let it ride. You'll be fine.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:43 AM   #14
BigFloyd
Recipes 

Liked 722 Times on 629 Posts
Likes Given: 630

I'll also vote "let it ride" especially since you have signs of active fermentation.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:49 AM   #15
olz431
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Let it ride, you would be surprised by what yeast can do.
Primary 3: Full Nelson Pale Ale
Secondary 1/ Primary 4: Rochefort 9
Primary 5:
Bottled: Zombie Dust, Yoopers House Ale, DFH 90 clone, Two Hearted Ale, Dead Guy, Dundalk Irish Heavy

Old 04-07-2013, 05:35 AM   #16
argodzilla
Recipes 

1/2 krausen has formed, and we have a lot of CO2 production. This went off a lot faster than my Noddy 2 weeks ago. Now I will check on it every few hours.
In the last few months I've missed a day of work because I drank 120 oz of green beer. Yes, I searched this site and figured out my kit was a pipe dream....ferment for 1 week, bottle for 2 weeks....drink great beer at the 3 week mark. My Toilet Paper bill, almost cost as much as the kit. My second batch was a brown ale. It was in Primary for 2 weeks, and is racked to secondary for a week. Next week I plan to bottle it at the 3 week mark. Then I will wait a month and then try it. I have this odd feeling that I may be missing Monday to babysit this blow off tube.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #17
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 189 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodzilla View Post
1/2 krausen has formed, and we have a lot of CO2 production. This went off a lot faster than my Noddy 2 weeks ago. Now I will check on it every few hours.
In the last few months I've missed a day of work because I drank 120 oz of green beer. Yes, I searched this site and figured out my kit was a pipe dream....ferment for 1 week, bottle for 2 weeks....drink great beer at the 3 week mark. My Toilet Paper bill, almost cost as much as the kit. My second batch was a brown ale. It was in Primary for 2 weeks, and is racked to secondary for a week. Next week I plan to bottle it at the 3 week mark. Then I will wait a month and then try it. I have this odd feeling that I may be missing Monday to babysit this blow off tube.
A suggestion: forget about calendar dates and base your decisions on hydrometer readings...this will keep your TP bill down.

Route the blow off tube into a bucket and just let it go...it will be fine.
Dynachrome Likes This 
Old 04-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #18
edds5p0
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodzilla
Drinking 120 oz of any beer at once would have me rockin' the thunder bucket for at least a morning, if not most of the day.
ricksam Likes This 
Old 04-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #19
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodzilla View Post
If it is going that fast, you should be fine.

As to green beer having adverse effects, I usually associate that with less than a week corked in a bottle.

Some people are probably more sensitive.

I drink mine at a week frequently and don't have big issues.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #20
ricksam
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 21

..."rockin' the thunder bucket"...

That there is funny