Dandelion - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Dandelion

Old 04-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #11
T_Baggins

Recipes 

Apr 2013
Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts

Thanks Yooper, I just checked out your recipe, sounds good! Some of the responses to your recipe include some instruction for preparing the flowers, I'm STILL a little fuzzy on this part. Maybe someone could post a few step by step pics of prepping the flower?
Oh yeah, can I discard the raisins? maybe replace with black or raspberry? I am an anti-grapist.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:09 AM   #12
emjay

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Liked 1719 Times on 1606 Posts

The raisins are almost definitely for use for yeast nutrients, rather than flavor. You can use actual wine yeast nutrient instead, following the directions that come with it.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:29 AM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 8027 Times on 5608 Posts

The raisins are for nutrients, but they also provide body to the wine. Without them, the body would be very thin. Instead, you could try bananas (just a small amount) for body but I haven't ever tried that.

Preparing the petals is easy. You just sit down in the shade and depetal the flowers and put them in a ziploc bag. It's easier if you sort of roll them between your thumb and index finger and squeeze them loose.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:42 AM   #14
emjay

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Liked 1719 Times on 1606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
The raisins are for nutrients, but they also provide body to the wine. Without them, the body would be very thin. Instead, you could try bananas (just a small amount) for body but I haven't ever tried that.
I'm assuming the body mostly comes from tannin, so could you not just use some tannin in addition to yeast nutrient? Of course at this point, it sounds easier to just use raisins

Old 04-08-2013, 01:45 AM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
I'm assuming the body mostly comes from tannin, so could you not just use some tannin in addition to yeast nutrient? Of course at this point, it sounds easier to just use raisins
I often add some tannin, but tannin doesn't really give body. The body comes from raisins or something like bananas- bananas give quite a bit of "legs" to a wine. But I wouldn't want a banana overtaste in this, so I'd be hesitant to do it. It's such a pretty white wine that I wouldn't use a fruit with color as an additive.

You could leave out the raisins, and I have made some dandelion wines without raisins, but it's not as good.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #16
Inner10

Recipes 

Dec 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I often add some tannin, but tannin doesn't really give body. The body comes from raisins or something like bananas- bananas give quite a bit of "legs" to a wine. But I wouldn't want a banana overtaste in this, so I'd be hesitant to do it. It's such a pretty white wine that I wouldn't use a fruit with color as an additive.

You could leave out the raisins, and I have made some dandelion wines without raisins, but it's not as good.
I thought legs were an indication of alcohol content, do the raisins have unfermentable sugars or something to contribute to viscosity to add 'body'?

Old 04-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #17
T_Baggins

Recipes 

Apr 2013
Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts

Hmmm...Well ,for the discussion above. I guess if the raisins don't add or detract from the flavor of the wine, I'll try it. As a note, I saw another recipe where apricot was used and honey for the sugars. Would the honey have any yeast nutrient value?

Old 04-09-2013, 04:42 AM   #18
Inner10

Recipes 

Dec 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Baggins View Post
Hmmm...Well ,for the discussion above. I guess if the raisins don't add or detract from the flavor of the wine, I'll try it. As a note, I saw another recipe where apricot was used and honey for the sugars. Would the honey have any yeast nutrient value?
Honey is very low nutrient, it's really slow to ferment without adding nutrient.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:20 PM   #19
oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer
Recipes 

May 2012
, ok
Liked 141 Times on 104 Posts

Would it be easier to snip off the green with a small pair of scissors? Mike

Old 04-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #20
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer View Post
Would it be easier to snip off the green with a small pair of scissors? Mike
The thing is, the petals are down inside the "head" of the green crown. If you snip that off, you're snipping off about half of the petals as well. Maybe more.