Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > when is it not beer?

Old 04-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #11
Howiedw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 3

There are exceptions to every rule.

Every body is different.

Most of all, Brew what you want. Who is anybody else to tell you what to brew? If you like it, Do it.

Oh, IMHO, Cereal grain based (Barley, wheat, Rye, Ect.) + Hops = beer, Fruit or Veggie base = Wine

Brew on!

On deck: DCME Stout, Garage Hooch Variations, Alaskan Amber Clone, Drumken Emu
DIY: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/anti...-build-395713/
People Like This 
Old 04-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2867 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackin View Post
Revvy nailed it. Nobody really gives a rat's butt, look at all the threads here.
+1 I just never get why, especially among new brewers or converts to craft beer that folks gotta care what other people stick in their glass or their fermenters. Some folks expect everyone on here to be a beer snob, to hate bmc, and agree with them when they start threads about it. The get tanked when they find out that many folks on here came into brewing, because THEY LIKE BEER, and their definition of said beer was the american light lager.

It's even funny how some folks bring out the Reinheitsgebot, but they don't realize that the "German purity law" wasn't as "pure as they think it was."

That sugar, and corn, and many things that the snobs believe were "impure" were actually considered ok by them....like anyhing, politics gets involved in "purity."

Quote:
...nor was it prohibited by a Rheinheitsgebot type law in the Austria-Hungarian area of Bohemia at the time.

"Wheat" has a separate entry in "100 Years of Brewing" under the ingredients sections, as do "Rye and Oats" and "Sugar, Syrups, etc." so I doubt they're including wheat under the discussion of "Corn".

Notably, under "Sugar, Syrups, etc." they write:

"In all German states, Bavaria alone excepted, sugar is used in brewing...Grape sugar for brewing was experimented with extensively as early as 1856, under the direction of the Bavarian minster for commerce, at Weihenstephan."

The book also notes that "the materials used in the manufacture of these different beers are: For German beers (Bavarian character) malt, hops and other cereals, and saccharine matter for special brands."
(That means "adjuncts" in other words.)

Not so "pure" is it?

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #13
cageybee
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 140

it not about what peeps brew, its about what we call beer...for the purposes of this website for example. if one wants to ferment chicken soup...Who gives a....but is it beer?

Old 04-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #14
Osedax
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 54 Posts

I make a quinoa pale ale. Quinoa is not a grain. Its a pseudo-grain. Does it make it a beer? Dunno. Do I tell everyone its beer? Yeah cuz I'm not an ass. Haha!
My House IPA
m_c_zero Likes This 
Old 04-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #15
HerbieHowells
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

At some point, if you add enough honey to a beer recipe, it can become a braggot. If you can define when that change happens, you might be on to something.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #16
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cageybee View Post
it not about what peeps brew, its about what we call beer...for the purposes of this website for example. if one wants to ferment chicken soup...Who gives a....but is it beer?
If along with chicken soup it fits the following criteria,

Quote:
: an alcoholic beverage usually made from malted cereal grain (as barley), flavored with hops, and brewed by slow fermentation
Which means that the CLASSIC recipe for Cock Ale (that the term cocktail comes from) which is not too different from your argument of "fermented chicken soup," is STILL a beer.....an ALE, actually.

Quote:
classification: cock ale, historical, 1500s, chicken, meat Source: Chris Sutherland (Christopher.Sutherland@cl.cam.ac.uk), 6/20/93
The recipe for authentic Cock Ale has finally arrived. Boy it sure is scary: COCK ALE (circa the 1500's) A real recipe from some obscure text found in the Scottish Highlands... Enjoy....
Procedure:

"Take 10 gallons of ale and a large cock, the older the better; parboil the cock, flay him, and stamp him in a stone mortar until his bones are broken (you must gut him when you flaw him). Then, put the cock into two quarts of sack, and put to it five pounds of raisins of the sun - stoned; some blades of mace, and a few cloves. Put all these into a canvas bag, and a little before you find the ale has been working, put the bag and ale together in vessel. In a week or nine days bottle it up, fill the bottle just above the neck and give it the same time to ripen as other ale."
Alternate recipe:

Brutal, eh? I was also given a modern recipe written by some guy named C.J.J. Berry.... Here goes this one... "Take a few pieces of _cooked_ chicken and a few chicken bones (approx one tenth of the edible portion of the bird) well crushed or minced.
Also take half of pound of raisins, a very little mace, and one or maybe two cloves. Add all these ingrediants to half a bottle of string country white wine. Soak for 24 hrs. Then make on gallon of beer as follows:
1 lb Malt extract
1 Oz Hops
1/2 lb demerarra sugar
1 gallon water
Yeast and nutrient

Add the whole of the chicken mixture to the beer at the end of the second day. Fermentation will last six or seven days longer than usual and the ale should be matured at least one month in the bottle. This cock ale is of the barley wine type.

It's a beer!!!!!!

Which if anyone wants to see it brewed, go to this thread.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew
cageybee Likes This 
Old 04-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #17
cageybee
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 140

omg. how do I delete this thread? it's defeated.
Revvy Likes This 
Old 04-05-2013, 10:53 PM   #18
Randy_Bugger
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

If you don't recognize fruit, spice, herb or whatever beers as beer, you earn a special hard dude beer bro card which is irrelevant in the context of beer, but has sociological implications that you don't really want to be part of.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:53 PM   #19
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cageybee View Post
omg.
We win....debate over.

Note that even in the dictionary definition of beer, the main thing mentioned is MALTED GRAIN...hops are considered a "flavoring." LOL.

A gruit (made with herbs instead of hops) is STILL a beer.

A beer is fermented grain (and anything else you add) a wine if ferment fruit, a mead is fermented honey, a cider is fermented apples...then there's the subtle gradiations as someone mentioned with a braggot above.

But if it's a beverage fermented with an amount of sugar that comes from the malting of a grain, then it's a beer.

That simple. Check mate, game over.....

People Like This 
Old 04-05-2013, 11:05 PM   #20
Osedax
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 54 Posts

What drink is fermented seeds? What about prison toilet sangria?

My House IPA
gadbrum Likes This