Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Far from a honey koelsch

Old 10-01-2007, 11:29 PM   #1
MTpilot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Far from a honey koelsch

My second batch was my first attempt at breaking out of the kits and peicing together my own recipe. I wanted to do a light beer, but with honey to add alcohol and a slight sweetness.

It's been in bottles 2 1/2 weeks now and it is nothing close to what I was aiming for. I'm pretty sure it was just my lack of attention and motivation during the fermentation. I may try it again and see if I get better results.

The recipe:
6.6 light lme
8 oz. mild ale malt
1.5 oz hallertauer @ 60
.5 @ 10
.5# honey @ 15
.5# honey at flame out

about a cup of active yeast slurry from the brew pub i work at (wyeast 1318 london ale)

OG 1.061
FG 1.019 (only 68.8% attenuated)

It was a hot summer. So I left the plastic fermentor in a water bath which kept the temp down 68-72ish. I procrastinated way too long (about 7 weeks) to move it to secondary. I still did, but just to try to separate it from the yeast. It sat in 2nd for 1 week before I bottled. It came out more like the belgian honey down at the brewpub. Very dry, very yeasty, and i think it may be a bit oxygenated as well (from all that time in plastic?). The honey flavor is present but very slight

It is very drinkable, but definitely not a session beer.

Just looking for some feedback. If I try it again, should I tweak the recipe to get it where I want it? or did the funky fermentaion do more to steer it in the wrong direction?
Planning: ?

Old 10-02-2007, 12:07 AM   #2
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

7 weeks sitting on yeast and trub in a plastic bucket is bound to pick up some off flavors and oxidation...

Also, not sure about London Ale yeast for a Kolsch. I've never brewed a Kolsch, but I think the yeast may be an important key to that puzzle...

Ah well, there is always next time!

Old 10-02-2007, 12:28 AM   #3
Iordz
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Authentic Kolsch is brewed with 90-100% pilsener malt and noble hopes, the ingredients are very simple, not that different from a pils. The most important ingredient is the yeast, you have to use Kolsch yeast to make a Kolsch style beer. The beer you made looks more like a honey mild. If the beer is good, that's all that matters!