Here's a cheap but attractive way to mount drip tray to keezer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedYellow

Reaction score
After buying the commonly-used 19.5" drip tray from barproducts.com, I scoured Home Depot and found some shelf mounting brackets for $7 per pair that work great, and the "Titanium" finish matches the SS pretty well.

Then, 1" diam x 1/8" thick magnets (amazon) were epoxied to the back. To prevent sliding, a 3" strip of cheapo double-sided scotch tape did the trick. Simply using clear silicone instead of magnets would have been a lot cheaper but oh well.

By the way, it's REALLY solid.

Hope this helps others trying to do the same!

DripTray2-vi.jpg

DripTray1-vi.jpg

I like this!! Those brackets look really great, like they were made just for this job, and the price is great.

nextgenxx said:
Is this glued on to fridge.

No. Silicone would have been the cheap and easy way to do it, but I wasn't sure what it would do to the finish if I ever removed it, or even if the finish would be strong enough to glue something to. So I epoxied 3 magnets onto each bracket. But if you simply use magnets, you'll find it easy slips downward, so I stuck a little piece of scotch 2-sided tape to each one, only to give enough friction that it won't slide down the freezer.

The tray is nice and snug in the brackets, yet still comes out easily for cleaning. Worked great!

What happens when someone sets her icy mug on it? Will it topple off or will the magnets hold it? If it's sturdy like that, I may have to go this direction. Looks great!

nospacehere said:
What happens when someone sets her icy mug on it? Will it topple off or will the magnets hold it? If it's sturdy like that, I may have to go this direction. Looks great!
The magnets are strong enough to hold at least a few beers. But now after a few weeks, it started slipping downward, which isnt the fault of the magnets. Rather, the 2-sided tape wasn't enough. It's a common problem, but I don't have a solution yet.

b-boy said:
Rare earth magnets?
aka neodymium magnets.

I wonder if you could take the filler off the inside of the door and that way you could put a magnet inside and outside to sandwhich the door just in that little area (put filler back in once magnet is there) and that should hold. Especially with a good size RE magnet.

I wonder if you could take the filler off the inside of the door and that way you could put a magnet inside and outside to sandwhich the door just in that little area (put filler back in once magnet is there) and that should hold. Especially with a good size RE magnet.

I have mine held on with rare earth magnets too. I had slipping problems. I tried velcro and it worked well, but people kept putting glasses and pitchers on it. I ended up epoxying some small shelf brackets under it. Now it will hold anything.

image-928191814.jpg

Welding magnate squares from harbor freight. Not as good looking but strong enough to hold a few full pints. The tray has a stick on strip magnet on the back to hold it on the fridge.

View attachment 119569

Welding magnate squares from harbor freight. Not as good looking but strong enough to hold a few full pints. The tray has a stick on strip magnet on the back to hold it on the fridge.

I like this idea. It would be pretty easy to dress these up by gluing some wood or even metal to the sides to make it blend with the drip tray.

I had the same slipping problem on mine. Ended up coating the magnets in liquid plastic. They've been like that for 5 years now and are still holding. Anything that is "grippy" will keep them in place.

I had the same slipping problem on mine. Ended up coating the magnets in liquid plastic. They've been like that for 5 years now and are still holding. Anything that is "grippy" will keep them in place.

By liquid plastic, do you mean plastidip?

A nice coat of Plastidip would keep the square magnets from marring the finish on the fridge. But when all else fails I am gonna just use molly bolts or expanding plastic inserts and call it good. No way I will ever convert it back to a freezer so why not make it like I want now. No slipping, easy to install, simple to remove the drip tray for cleaning, will hold a pitcher with no concern. When the keezer dies I will lose 20 cents worth of plastic inserts.... I can live with that..

Wheelchair Bob

Very cool and it sounds like if you need to remove it for any reason, you wont have to worry about the silicon peeling off the finish.

So, my keezer died and I just finished building another one. I'm considering upgrading my drip tray solution using the same tray (19"). For the clamping brackets, do you actually "clamp" it on tight or do you leave it slightly loose? I'm thinking I'd like to be able to remove the tray without removing the brackets and I think that might be the solution.

Also, which brackets did you use? I see there are three different lengths, Splash, Jam, and Ara. Ara looks like it has the longest support arm. It looks long enough to hold the entire tray with basically no clamping aspect. It's hard to tell, but they might be slightly too long...

Go ahead and clamp the tray down pretty snug-- you'll still be able to pull it right out. Indeed, the ability to pull the drip tray out of the bracket for cleaning is the beauty of this arrangement.

Sorry, I'm not sure which of those brackets I used -- HD's web site descriptions suck so I can't figure it out. Mine are 3" deep, so as you can see they extend about three-quarters of the depth of the 4" drip tray.

Thanks for the info. It looks like the Ara but the backing plate looks different online than what you have. The website is saying they're not sold at any of my nearby stores. Anyway, thanks for the info. I think I might try this out.

I mounted my bottle opener to the front door of my kegorator using boron magnets I took out of an old hard drive. They are amazingly strong for there size.

I gave up on the magnet idea and just used a dab of silicone to hold the brackets to the freezer. No problems, and super strong. If I ever need to remove them, should be easy enough to cut the silicone with a razor blade. Messing with the magnets was rather a waste of time.

Back