Blichmann vs Bubba burner - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Blichmann vs Bubba burner

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #11
RatchetBrews
Recipes 
 
Mar 2013
Knoxville, TN
Posts: 52
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts


I posted a video about Bubba's Burners at my website (the one in my signature). It's pretty much the same banjo burner, but the regulator makes all the difference. The Blichmann regulators are garbage. You can get a better one at Wal-mart. The regulator I got from Bubba changed my brewing life. Full rolling boils in a fraction of the time of Blichmann's regulator.
Anyway Bubba has great equipment. I'm lucky enough to be only a few miles away from him, and he's building me a custom prototype modular brew stand. I can't wait!



Reason: typo

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #12
Pratzie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Pratzie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Northeastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,549
Liked 157 Times on 111 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by RatchetBrews View Post
I posted a video about Bubba's Burners at my website (the one in my signature). It's pretty much the same banjo burner, but the regulator makes all the difference. The Blichmann regulators are garbage. You can get a better one at Wal-mart. The regulator I got from Bubba changed my brewing life. Full rolling boils in a fraction of the time of Blichmann's regulator.
Anyway Bubba has great equipment. I'm lucky enough to be only a few miles away from him, and he's building me a custom prototype modular brew stand. I can't wait!
Just curious, but why don't u like the regulators from Blichmann? When u say u get the full rolling boils with the Bubba regulator, do u mean its a bubba burner and regulator or is a it a blichmann burner with bubba reg? Also how much fuel are u going thru?


__________________
Bottled: Nothing :(
Kegged: Nothing :(
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #13
RatchetBrews
Recipes 
 
Mar 2013
Knoxville, TN
Posts: 52
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts


Bubba's regulator, Blichmann's banjo burner. I do big batches between 20 and 40 gallons at a time with my 55 gallon brew pot. That little blichmann regulator is only 10 psi. It doesn't provide enough power to bring to boil in a timely manner. With Bubba's regulator at 20-25 psi, I can get 20 gallons of 45 degree water up to mash temps within 10 minutes. I got through almost a whole regular size hardware store propane bottle per brew day.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #14
Pratzie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Pratzie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Northeastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,549
Liked 157 Times on 111 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by RatchetBrews View Post
Bubba's regulator, Blichmann's banjo burner. I do big batches between 20 and 40 gallons at a time with my 55 gallon brew pot. That little blichmann regulator is only 10 psi. It doesn't provide enough power to bring to boil in a timely manner. With Bubba's regulator at 20-25 psi, I can get 20 gallons of 45 degree water up to mash temps within 10 minutes. I got through almost a whole regular size hardware store propane bottle per brew day.
Gotcha. Ur the first person ive heard say anything negative about a blichmann product (except cost) so I was curious what u meant. Im still only doing 5-10 gallon batches so im fine with the times im seeing but if I ever upgrade to bigger batches, i'll remember what u said about that regulator. Thanks!
__________________
Bottled: Nothing :(
Kegged: Nothing :(
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:43 AM   #15
day_trippr
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Stow, MA
Posts: 16,855
Liked 2832 Times on 2121 Posts


"Bubba" uses the same BG-14 burner but with a 0-30psi regulator. Makes sense, considering that stand of his is built for really big batches. He uses a POL type (good - no ACME valve to trigger) but it's priced at twice the market (bad).

That much capacity is way overkill for 10 gallon batches - just like Bubba's Burner (which specifically was designed for 40+ gallon kettles)...

Cheers!

[edit for accuracy]

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #16
freshhoarse
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
West Berlin, New Jersey
Posts: 403
Liked 31 Times on 17 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by RatchetBrews View Post
Bubba's regulator, Blichmann's banjo burner. I do big batches between 20 and 40 gallons at a time with my 55 gallon brew pot. That little blichmann regulator is only 10 psi. It doesn't provide enough power to bring to boil in a timely manner. With Bubba's regulator at 20-25 psi, I can get 20 gallons of 45 degree water up to mash temps within 10 minutes. I got through almost a whole regular size hardware store propane bottle per brew day.
So you use almost 20# of propane per brew day?!? Yikes! I'm moving up to 20 gal batches soon... might need a bigger tank.
__________________
http://www.berlinbrewco.com/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #17
Crito
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
H-Town, TX
Posts: 515
Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by freshhoarse View Post

So you use almost 20# of propane per brew day?!? Yikes! I'm moving up to 20 gal batches soon... might need a bigger tank.
With a ten psi burner... you will get a few brews out of one tank if you keep the burner in the proper settings.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blichmann burner trv General Beer Discussion 32 04-20-2013 01:48 PM
Blichmann burner Marc77 Want to Buy 0 03-12-2013 04:48 PM
Blichmann Burner HopSong Want to Buy 1 03-01-2013 06:57 PM
Blichmann burner why no oil PastorofMuppets Equipment/Sanitation 8 01-21-2013 01:36 PM
Blichmann Burner legs, Blichmann thrumometer chezhed For Sale 1 09-05-2012 01:26 AM


Forum Jump