Toasted Almonds in Cherry Wine? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Toasted Almonds in Cherry Wine?

Old 04-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
Grahammcp
Recipes 

Sep 2012
, Oregon
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Last night I started a 5 gallon batch of tart cherry wine. I was considering adding toasted almonds, but didn't really know how to go about it.

I was planning on toasting almond slices. Should I dump them into the carboy, or contain them in a bag? Should I over toast them to really bring out the "toasted" flavor?

Any advice on how many to use? I'd love any input, even if its just a brainstorm among fellow wine makers!

Old 04-06-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
Brann_mac_Finnchad
Recipes 

Apr 2012
, AK
Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

I would not try overtoasting them--I would see that just not working like you plan...unless you like the flavour like that. Try not to add the skins, unless you want the bitterness from that. Whether you want to use a brew bag or loose I think is entirely up to you, although removing them would be easier if they are contained.

There might be some useable information here, where I inquired about making an almond mead.

Primary: Spruce Quad, Pumpkin Weizenbock, AW4 Apfelwein, Dark Candi Cider, Alaska Lambic(ish)
Secondary: Rhubarb Wine, Highwayman Old Ale, Apple Blossom Floramel
Aging: Brett finished Tripel

Old 04-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
Grahammcp
Recipes 

Sep 2012
, Oregon
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brann_mac_Finnchad
I would not try overtoasting them--I would see that just not working like you plan...unless you like the flavour like that. Try not to add the skins, unless you want the bitterness from that. Whether you want to use a brew bag or loose I think is entirely up to you, although removing them would be easier if they are contained.

There might be some useable information here, where I inquired about making an almond mead.
Thank you. I have decided against the addition of almonds in the primary. I plan on splitting my secondary into two, and add almonds to one of them. Your almond mead thread provided me with the insight I needed. Thanks again!