I know I would like some automation - I'm a geek that way. I believe there is a reasonable logical progression of styles/systems that won't waste too much money and allow me to experiment as I go. Here's what I think:
- "Old Fashioned" MLT and Keggle setup with an immersion chiller. nothing fancy, an igloo cooler and a keggle like I used to have. My brew-buddy has the immersion chiller so this is a no-brainer.
- Counter-flow chiller. I like them so I will have another one.
- "Brutus" inspired system. Similar to this build
, I will add a pump and some plumbing to pull it together. Since I am firing my kettle with gas this will be a manually controlled setup.
- RIMS. All I should need to do is add the RIMS tube and controller to everything I have (plus some misc plumbing). Likely have to find something to use as a HLT (or I have mashed-out into a bucket and used the keggle as a HLT temporarily in the past).
- eHERMS. This is my desired end goal. If I have lived a righteous life, in theory, everything thus far will be re-used in this setup with the exception of the RIMS tube and some random hardware. Since I don't have the plans solidified this is a complete WAG but it sounds like it will work.
So what do y'all think? The theory is at any given point I have not broken the bank and I just may end up with a "final system" if I like the result.