Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > $4.87 keg tool

Old 04-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #21
atgoldst
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Works brilliantly. What kind if solder did you use? Just regular plumbing kind or something special for the stainless ?

Old 04-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #22
ChuckO
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgoldst View Post
Works brilliantly. What kind if solder did you use? Just regular plumbing kind or something special for the stainless ?
Harris has a kit StayBrite silver solder and liquid flux that works well with stainless. Usually available from welding shops.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #23
caligula455
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 2 Posts

I used the Harris Stay-Brite silver solder kit, you can order it from HomeDepot and have them ship to a store for free.

Here is how the soldering turned out...

inside of 1/2" coupling

inside of 1/4" fitting

Now I need to buy or borrow something to make a hole big enough for the 1" heating element fitting, but in the mean time I can use it over a propane burner.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #24
ButcherBoy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligula455
I used the Harris Stay-Brite silver solder kit, you can order it from HomeDepot and have them ship to a store for free.
You can get silver solder and flux at most refrigeration supply stores, here in Pittsburgh I use Johnstone Supply or United Refrigeration. Johnstone is a big chain and has outlets in many areas. If you go to the counter and ask for silver solder they will help you out. It's expensive, but they'll have it in stock and it'll probably be less expensive than HD.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #25
caligula455
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 2 Posts

the Harris kit from HD was about $10 with tax and I used about 1/3 of it.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #26
purplehaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default coupling

caligula455, that is one heck of a first post. I have a quick question before I dive into this.

The 1/2" X 3/4" coupler I have measures 7/8" in diameter on the 3/4 end, which is the same size as the hole.

Am I missing something or is it supposed to be 1/2" X 1" coupler instead.

Thanks for the info
Bob

Old 04-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #27
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Nice going Caligula. Is that a tiny pinhole 3rd picture down? Might want to just heat that area up with a little bit of flux.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #28
bigpapakielbasa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehaze
caligula455, that is one heck of a first post. I have a quick question before I dive into this.

The 1/2" X 3/4" coupler I have measures 7/8" in diameter on the 3/4 end, which is the same size as the hole.

Am I missing something or is it supposed to be 1/2" X 1" coupler instead.

Thanks for the info
Bob
You probably have a 1/2" x 3/4" street coupling. Those fittings are used to sweat into 3/4" fittings as opposed to over 3/4" copper pipe. The regular 1/2" x 3/4" coupling should measure just under 1" on the 3/4" side

Old 04-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #29
bigpapakielbasa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligula455
Hi Everyone,

First off, I've learned so much from reading this forum over the past couple of months and I hope that this is helpful for someone else out there.

I'm putting together a new brew kettle and wanted to dimple and solder in a coupler but thought there had to be a cheaper alternative to the stainless parts from mcmaster that everyone has been using.

I didn't want to do any machining and I didn't want any ferrous metal scraping on the stainless and this version meets both criteria.

Here's what I came up with - it looks pretty ghetto but it sure did work! Total cost from Home Depot - $4.87

Parts:
(1) 3/4" x 1/2" copper coupling - $2.27
(1) 1" PVC coupling - $0.46
(1) 1/2" x 5" bolt - $1.21
(1) 1/2" nut - $0.20
(2) 1/2" cut washers $0.70

Here is the procedure, it's basically the same but here's what it looks like with my cheapo version.

First drill a 7/8" hole and run the copper coupling through till the washer bottoms out.

Then re-thread the bolt with the stainless full coupling behind the copper coupling. The diameters are close, but the stainless is a bit bigger. This is no problem at all, it self centers in the dimple and pulls right into place.

You might think that this copper piece is too thin to handle the pressure, but being a circle makes it very strong under compression on all sides. The copper is fairly soft but I'm pretty confident that it has some more life in it if I had any more dimples to make.

http://s307.photobucket.com/user/cal...tml?sort=3&o=1

So here is the end result, a nice secure dimple ready for solder and some extra beer money in my pocket.
Caligula, how hard was this to draw through the side wall of your pot? I tried this yesterday on my keggle and ended up crushing the end washers and bending the bolt before the copper fitting would draw through. The copper fitting actually started to crush on the 3/4" end I was wrenching on.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #30
caligula455
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapakielbasa View Post
Those fittings are used to sweat into 3/4" fittings as opposed to over 3/4" copper pipe.
That's exactly what i was going to say. The two kinds of couplers look very similar, you want the one with the larger end designed to be the female side of a 3/4" pipe joint.