Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > mash tun - what is it?

Old 04-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
well_bucket_brews
Scott S.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default mash tun - what is it?

hi all! new to the hobby and still buying equipment.. ive seen a few things that mention a 'mash tun'.. what is it and where does it come into the equation?

thanks!

There can't be good living where there is not good drinking.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
rklinck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 49

It is what you use for all grain brewing. You use it to "mash" the grain, which is a fancy word for steeping grains in a specific volume of water, at a specific temperature, for a specific length of time.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:40 PM   #3
pfgonzo

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 82

The mash tun is the vessel in which you conduct your mash, i.e., grains and 150ish degree water to convert the starches into fermentable sugar water. You then drain the mash tun (called "sparging") and add water from your hot liquor tank (through the drained/draining mash tun) to get the last bit of sugar and get up to your boil volume.

For many beginning all grain brewers their mash tun is a cooler. Holds the temperature very well for the hour or so needed for starch conversion. For others, they use a metal kettle or converted keg and, using a pump, recirculate either the mash liquid while the burner is on, or use a heat exchanger to maintain temperature.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #4
LovesIPA
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfgonzo View Post
The mash tun is the vessel in which you conduct your mash, i.e., grains and 150ish degree water to convert the starches into fermentable sugar water. You then drain the mash tun (called "sparging") and add water from your hot liquor tank (through the drained/draining mash tun) to get the last bit of sugar and get up to your boil volume.
Sorry, I'm going to get a little nit-picky.

The draining process is actually called lautering. For most homebrewers, mashing and lautering is done in the same vessel, which is why you'll see MLT used when referring to the mash tun.

Sparging is the process of rinsing the grains with additional water after the first runnings have been lautered off. There are different methods, including batch and fly sparging.

Also, a google search for this question would have easily given you the answer you were looking for.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #5
Billy-Klubb
HBT Berry Puncher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4706 Times on 2797 Posts
Likes Given: 8502

listen to these folks gettin' all complicated & technical. the mash tun is where the magic starts in all grain brewing. if you look close enough, you can actually see the magic little leprechauns converting the starches into sugars.
"If ceramic squirrels are banned, only druks will have ceramic squirrels!"
amandabab Likes This 
Old 04-03-2013, 11:56 PM   #6
pfgonzo

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 82

LovesIPA is correct. I actually had a longer answer in there that I cut down, and ended up cutting to the point where I had misinformation up there. Oops!

Old 04-04-2013, 12:03 AM   #7
brewkinger
AdirondacKinger

Recipes 

Liked 290 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 315

Misinformation or not, the tun is a critical piece of equipment and I warn you now...
As a noob/brewer halfling, i promise you it will be something in your partial mash or all grain setup that will cause you much thought and probably $$ eventually as you try to dial in your efficiency.
The free 5 gal igloo cooler that a friend gave me is now up to $50 in valves and false bottom additions.

PRIMARY: Centennial Blonde
BOTTLED: Razapple Wine- Vintage 2014
BOTTLED: SNPA Clone
KEGGED:
PLANNING: Blackbird Haus Pale Ale
PLANNING: A Lil' More Ordinary
Do not mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you will remember about me.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:04 AM   #8
seigex
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy-Klubb View Post
listen to these folks gettin' all complicated & technical. the mash tun is where the magic starts in all grain brewing. if you look close enough, you can actually see the magic little leprechauns converting the starches into sugars.
Magic Little Leprechauns or by their technical name, enzymes.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:05 AM   #9
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing

Recipes 

Liked 663 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 1833

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesIPA View Post
...Also, a google search for this question would have easily given you the answer you were looking for.
Yup!

Old 04-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #10
Billy-Klubb
HBT Berry Puncher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4706 Times on 2797 Posts
Likes Given: 8502

Quote:
Originally Posted by seigex View Post
Magic Little Leprechauns or by their technical name, enzymes.
like I said, magic little leprechauns. and Iron Maiden's "Eddie" invented beer. they wrote a song about it.

"If ceramic squirrels are banned, only druks will have ceramic squirrels!"