Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > question for owners of commercial kegerators

Old 04-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
ipsiad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default question for owners of commercial kegerators

Just moved into a new house, and I've got SWMBO convinced that a commercial kegerator should be factored into our home improvement budget. There's a corner in our media/living room that would fit this kegerator (or something like it) perfectly.

My concern is noise. These are heavy duty units designed for bars and restaurants where noise isn't a primary concern. This thing will be 12 feet away from the couch where we'll be watching tv and movies. How loud are the compressors on these? I know it won't be anywhere near silent, but if it's actually loud/distracting then I won't do it. Can anyone who's owned one comment on the noise level?

And yes I realize that for a lot less money I could build a kegerator/keezer myself out of a mini fridge or freezer. I know this because I've already built 2. The commercial kegerator is appealing despite the cost because it can hold 4 kegs (unlike a mini fridge), has a tower (which isn't ideal with a keezer), and it looks better than anything that I'm capable of building myself.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:48 AM   #2
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 9

They are a bit loud, even when the compressor is off the fan runs all the time. I wouldn't want to put it in the same room as a tv. A freezer would be much more quiet.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
beersk
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 125 Posts

Agreed. I have a Haier kegerator and it does get quite loud when it's running.
If anything, I'd suggest getting a 9 or 12 cubic foot freezer and getting a temp controller and running a setup like that. Probably what I'll do next after mine dies (I got mine used a few years ago, no telling when it'll kick the bucket). Or a standard fridge and drill through the door...

Old 04-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
ipsiad
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That's what I suspected. I guess I'll have to actually work and make a decent-looking keezer. Time to read up on all the coffin keezer builds. Thanks for the input!

Old 04-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 267 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Making a keezer is a lot of fun! It's the same type of "work" as brewing your beer. Work that's a lot of fun and very rewarding. FWIW I think you can get a really nice looking keezer with just a stained collar, though of course a coffin can look classier.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
Daves69
All Grain No Brain!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a commercial kegerator although it lives on my patio it is not that loud. However that small desk fan I have inside it to keep the air moving and condensation down is loud...