Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Local smoked malt, used for whisky, what to brew with it?

Old 04-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
castillo83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Local smoked malt, used for whisky, what to brew with it?

Hi,

There is a local distillery that malts their own barley, and they smoke it with both cherrywood and applewood. I think this malt would make an awesome scottish ale. He is able to sell or exchange some for me.

I have no idea what the SRM nor Lovibond his malt would have, nor how strong the smoke flavor would be.

My original idea was to make a wee heavy, but now I am thinking maybe I brew a 60 Shilling with only his malt (he has both 2-row and 6-row), to give me an idea of what flavor/color should I expect with his malt, and then go full on with either a rye beer or a wee heavy.

Any thoughts?

Old 04-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
Proboscidea
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Stouts + smoked malt + good Irish Ale yeast = bliss

There's also the Rauchbier thing.

Would be perfect for 1-gallon tests. As long as the smoking amount is relatively consistent from batch to batch at the distillery ...

Fermenting:
CellarCraft Sterling Collection Barbera (kit) -- first entrée into grape wines

Bottled recently:
Ginger mead (3gal), EdWort's Apfelwein (3gal)

Old 04-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
castillo83
Recipes 

I like stouts, but somehow I feel the black malts and their burnt/acrid acidity would not help me asses the nature of the smoke malt itself and would get lost.

Even thought they don't care much about their malting process efficiency, I would still expect some level of uniformity on their malt.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
TahoeRy
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd make a grain tea to get an idea of what it's going to do, then make a SMaSH or at least a single malt beer to confirm it. Local ingredients are always the best.