RaspberryPi = Game Changer - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > RaspberryPi = Game Changer
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 04-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
prrriiide
Recipes 

Aug 2009
Smokin cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

I just saw this thing. Holy smokes! At only $35 you can program it to do anything you want!

Right now Linux only, but an Android OS is on the way. 512M RAM, dual USB ports, ethernet. Touchscreen compatible. Will run off of most phone chargers or even AA batts. Has analog or HDMI display leads. On-board soundcard (great for alarms). It's designed and built by a non-profit specifically to provide computing education to children. So it's designed for people that aren't programmers and has a very robust support/educational component. I'll be getting at least one!

RPi

Old 04-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #2
jsbird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Oct 2012

An attempt to do exactly what you are suggesting:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/teen...roller-375635/

Old 04-11-2013, 01:03 AM   #3
day_trippr
Recipes 

May 2011
Stow, MA
Liked 2627 Times on 1982 Posts

There's actually a pretty big leap between owning the hardware and doing anything useful with it...

Cheers!

Old 04-11-2013, 01:09 AM   #4
Mojzis
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Rochester, NY
Liked 146 Times on 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
There's actually a pretty big leap between owning the hardware and doing anything useful with it...

Cheers!
Yup. If I bought one of those things my hopes and dreams would need to hook it up because no way in hell I could

Old 04-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
jsbird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Oct 2012

Definitely some truth to that. I don't have much in the way of technical skills but at this price you can afford to take your time, learn and draft off folks who do. As I posted, there are others who are probably doing the same thing and open source provides an opportuntity to learn from the successes and failures of others.

If it's the end result that excites you, then you're better off waiting for an off the shelf solution.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Liked 402 Times on 286 Posts

The DIY Tech blog Make is holding a RaspPi design contest next week.

Some pretty cool applications have already been submitted, so it will likely be easier to use once all these ideas flood the web.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #7
Jublin
Recipes 

May 2011
Albany, OR

Personally, I'm more drawn to the UdOO board for the same purposes. Partly because I'm lazy with soldering, and feel like the freescale iMX6 will have more longevity, given a roughly 4-fold increase in cpu power.