Buying my first kit today! - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Buying my first kit today!

Old 04-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
hoopdogg315
Recipes 

Mar 2013
Longview/Tyler, Texas

This afternoon I'm headed to the local brew store in Longview and buying my first kit! This is tougher than being a kid on Christmas Eve! I'm brewing Saturday with a buddy of mine who's been doing this for about a year so hopefully the first brew will come out decent for me. I'm leaning towards a Nut Brown Ale but haven't made my final decision yet! There's a lot riding on deciding which beer to brew first......

Old 04-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
kapbrew13
Recipes 

Mar 2011
somerset, NJ
Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts

Congrats!! IMO. You don't need the secondary bucket in the beginning unless you plan large abv and really choppy brews. Put the $ toward a nice large stainless steel pot. Get pbw and starsan for cleaning and sanitizing. Upgrade to an autosiphon, makes siphoning easier.
BTW, is this an equipement kit or an extract beer kit? D'oh

Old 04-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
hoopdogg315
Recipes 

Mar 2013
Longview/Tyler, Texas

I'm going with an extract kit to start off with. Going to get a few under my belt first before I move up

Old 04-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
kapbrew13
Recipes 

Mar 2011
somerset, NJ
Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopdogg315 View Post
I'm going with an extract kit to start off with. Going to get a few under my belt first before I move up
Good plan. Take notes and nail down the process. Process pretty much stays the same when you move to brew in a bag or mash tun all grain. Have fun. Enjoy your finished product and congrats.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Solway, MN
Liked 1608 Times on 1279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopdogg315 View Post
This afternoon I'm headed to the local brew store in Longview and buying my first kit! This is tougher than being a kid on Christmas Eve! I'm brewing Saturday with a buddy of mine who's been doing this for about a year so hopefully the first brew will come out decent for me. I'm leaning towards a Nut Brown Ale but haven't made my final decision yet! There's a lot riding on deciding which beer to brew first......
Wait! You have to choose just one? Maybe you should choose 2 kits right away.

Welcome to the hobby. I started with a stout without knowing that stouts take longer to get good than lighter color beers. Your nut brown should take quit a bit less time to mature than my stout but a lighter color will be quicker yet.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
hoopdogg315
Recipes 

Mar 2013
Longview/Tyler, Texas

haha, can't afford both right off the jump! Wifey won't allow it.

and i'm not stuck on the brown ale, how did the Stout turn out??

better yet, any suggestions on what my first brew should be? I obviously I don't want a Miller/Coors/Bud light, otherwise I would just buy that. I love craft beer. I am not a big IPA fan, but all others I'm a fan of.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
s4l
Recipes 

Oct 2012
Killeen/HH/CC, Texas
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just bottled an Irish Red Ale yesterday. It has a beautiful reddish orange color, tasted and smelled great (even though it's flat), and fermented in about a week, although I gave it 2 in primary and ut came out pretty clear.. I can't wait to write the review here in a month or so after it carbs!
Winter Warmer

**In Primary**
Empty. :(

**Bottled**
NB Irish Red - 02 Apr 13
BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde - 28 Apr 13

# of Brews: 2 // Total # of Gallons: 10

Old 04-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
Wingnutt73
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2013
Nashville, Tennesse
Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts

My First Brew Was Brewers Best English Brown Ale. I have brewed it 4 times now adding to and changing it here and there. Its a great brew to start with. I think the kit was right around $35.00. Takes about a good 2 months to really get done but very worth it. And yes welcome to the Hobby!!!

Primary - Empty
Secondary -Empty
Bottled- Empty
Kegged- Empty

Old 04-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3621 Times on 3110 Posts

I'd say do a pale ale as a first brew. They are the most common,yet most improvised beer out there. They take less time than stouts & strong ales.
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

Old 04-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #10
andy6026
Recipes 

Jan 2013
Liked 167 Times on 130 Posts

Good stuff, happy brewing.

If I can make a recommendation and of course this is just my humble opinion:

If you can slightly customize your equipment kit then I recommend asking for an upgrade to a bench capper over the hand capper. I've used both and was incredibly disapointed (and somewhat frustrated) by the hand capper. It's slower and doesn't create a seal that I'm confident with. That's just my opinion though and others might disagree.