Refractometer error - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Refractometer error

Old 04-03-2013, 04:57 AM   #11
iaefebs
Recipes 

Aug 2010
West Coast, MI
Liked 245 Times on 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tally350z View Post
I also like to use the hydrometer to taste a sample, to see if there are any other issues..
I stick a straw down through the air lock hole about 3 inches into the wort. I deposit 2 drops on the refractometer and taste the rest..

Old 04-03-2013, 05:36 AM   #12
branCHEs
Recipes 

Jan 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaefebs

I see more error from people reading a hydrometer. Always viewing the meniscus from whatever angle gets the results they are hoping to see.
I forgot to mention.... This is all under the assumption that the user of the equipment understands how to properly use the equipment. Thanks for pointing that out iaefebs!

Old 04-03-2013, 06:12 AM   #13
greyghost
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Woodinville, WA
Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

I calibrate both my refractometer and hydrometer with distilled water at 60 o. They are both dead on for the FG using Beersmith. I no longer use the hydrometer. The refractometer is so much easier and faster.

iaefebs Likes This 
Old 04-03-2013, 07:29 AM   #14
Veedo
Recipes 

Jan 2011
U.P., Michigan
Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
I calibrate both my refractometer and hydrometer with distilled water at 60 o. They are both dead on for the FG using Beersmith. I no longer use the hydrometer. The refractometer is so much easier and faster.
same here. last few beers i have taken both hydrometer and refractometer readings for the FG, and using beersmiths built in tool to convert, the results have been identical.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:54 AM   #15
zrule
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2009
Illinois
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the help. I get it now. I didn't realize that Beersmith has a conversion tool...too bad it's for Brix ....my refractometer reads in SG. Where is the coversion tool for brix to sg??