Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Recipe: Saison of love (GF)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #11
motorneuron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 561
Liked 53 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default

edit: whoops! double post.



Reason: double post, whoops!
motorneuron is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:42 PM   #12
motorneuron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 561
Liked 53 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default

Thinking about making another batch of this. My boss believes (though I think erroneously, since he eats bread without trouble) that the gluten in beer is causing him problems. I'm probably going to use panela/piloncillo instead of the homemade sugar, but otherwise will follow this recipe again.


motorneuron is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #13
Desp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Denton, Texas
Posts: 62
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

It seems actually almost everyone is allergic to gluten in one way or the other.

To test your tolerance, go completely gluten free for a week or two, then consume gluten again and see how you feel after a few days. I notice when I stop consuming gluten my sinuses are noticeably better, and I don't wake up with sore joints and swollen achy feet.

Something like 90 percent of the population likely has gluten allergies, but so many people consume it without ever stopping they wouldn't know the difference. That being the case, I would like to explore this option of making a GF beer, and save the real stuff for special occasions.
Desp is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:26 PM   #14
Bearfoot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 84
Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

I am looking to make a GF beer and this recipe looks like a good place to start, especially with the rising temperatures in my brewhouse.

My question for motorneuron, what was your grist ratio for the chestnut mash? Did you sparge at all?

I'm thinking of upping this to a 10 gallon recipe and would like to have my volumes in order.

thanks
Bearfoot is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:47 PM   #15
Ash_Mathew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Wakefield, Yorkshire
Posts: 309
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desp
It seems actually almost everyone is allergic to gluten in one way or the other.

To test your tolerance, go completely gluten free for a week or two, then consume gluten again and see how you feel after a few days. I notice when I stop consuming gluten my sinuses are noticeably better, and I don't wake up with sore joints and swollen achy feet.

Something like 90 percent of the population likely has gluten allergies, but so many people consume it without ever stopping they wouldn't know the difference. That being the case, I would like to explore this option of making a GF beer, and save the real stuff for special occasions.
Or you could just continue to consume gluten until you have a test done by a doctor as you should do. If you stop consuming it before the test, it cannot be clear one way or the other. Then once you have had a test done and been confirmed Coeliac, then stop consuming it altogether. Otherwise you run the risk of delightful stuff such as bowel cancer.
Ash_Mathew is offline
nitton Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:38 PM   #16
wooda2008
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dover, NH
Posts: 183
Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_Mathew View Post
Or you could just continue to consume gluten until you have a test done by a doctor as you should do. If you stop consuming it before the test, it cannot be clear one way or the other. Then once you have had a test done and been confirmed Coeliac, then stop consuming it altogether. Otherwise you run the risk of delightful stuff such as bowel cancer.
^^This, please.
If you're going to "test" yourself, get it done professionally, under the direction of a medical professional.

The test looks for signs that your immune system is reacting to the proteins. If you're not consuming gluten, you won't have the antibodies and the test is worthless. You can't expect to test yourself because it's an automatic conflict of interest.

Even after a happy accident led me to suspect that I had issues with wheat (I ran out of bread and lived on leafy greens and meat for a month, and my gut and asthma problems resolved), I still had to go to a doctor to confirm, and it was a long process to weed out the compounds I was reacting to.

I see Gluten Free growing into a religion like fat free. Gives me shivers.
wooda2008 is offline
nitton Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:29 AM   #17
motorneuron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 561
Liked 53 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfoot View Post
I am looking to make a GF beer and this recipe looks like a good place to start, especially with the rising temperatures in my brewhouse.

My question for motorneuron, what was your grist ratio for the chestnut mash? Did you sparge at all?

I'm thinking of upping this to a 10 gallon recipe and would like to have my volumes in order.

thanks
Hey, great! Yeah, I was very pleased with this recipe (my first GF attempt, though!).

I don't remember exactly what the mash ratio was now. I think I went pretty thin--about 1 or 1.5 gallons for the 1 pound of chestnuts and half pound of oats--because the oats get very thick and goopy. I didn't properly sparge this batch, either (I didn't want to use my mash tun, because I was afraid of contaminating the beer with gluten), so I just passed the mash through a strainer twice, and poured hot water over the grist. Obviously a real setup, or even brew in a bag, would probably yield better efficiency.

But I guess one nice thing about the recipe is, since it's only a partial mash, you can basically use however much volume you want to get very high efficiency from the chestnuts+oats.

Last thing, I would recommend using a semi-refined sugar (panela/piloncillo, jaggery, turbinado, etc.) rather than candi sugar. I found the caramel notes not at home in this beer.
motorneuron is offline
Bearfoot Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #18
Desp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Denton, Texas
Posts: 62
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooda2008 View Post
^^This, please.
If you're going to "test" yourself, get it done professionally, under the direction of a medical professional.

The test looks for signs that your immune system is reacting to the proteins. If you're not consuming gluten, you won't have the antibodies and the test is worthless. You can't expect to test yourself because it's an automatic conflict of interest.

Even after a happy accident led me to suspect that I had issues with wheat (I ran out of bread and lived on leafy greens and meat for a month, and my gut and asthma problems resolved), I still had to go to a doctor to confirm, and it was a long process to weed out the compounds I was reacting to.

I see Gluten Free growing into a religion like fat free. Gives me shivers.
There is a difference between being mildly allergic to something and having celiac. Most people are allergic to gluten, most people do not have celiac.
Desp is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:55 AM   #19
wooda2008
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dover, NH
Posts: 183
Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Most people are following a fad and experiencing a strong placebo effect;
Many are improving their quality of life by avoiding wheat and replacing it with more nutritious foods like fresh vegetables and nuts.
Some have an allergy to gluten, as evidenced by blood test results showing a reaction.
Few have that allergy manifested as celiac.

Motorneuron,

It's awesome that you brewed up something your friends like. If your boss likes it too, all the better. And tell him to enjoy a sammich for me
wooda2008 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:22 AM   #20
Ash_Mathew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Wakefield, Yorkshire
Posts: 309
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooda2008
Most people are following a fad and experiencing a strong placebo effect;
Many are improving their quality of life by avoiding wheat and replacing it with more nutritious foods like fresh vegetables and nuts.
Some have an allergy to gluten, as evidenced by blood test results showing a reaction.
Few have that allergy manifested as celiac.
See, it really annoys me when people use it as a fad. Mostly thanks to these worthless 'celebrities'. After 27 years of having Coeliac, I still feel embarrassed by it. I live in a country where it is more acceptable to choose not to eat something, rather than those people who CAN'T eat something. I would still rather find something in a restaurant that I know will be gluten free, rather than 'pestering' somebody.

But when I see the same people from school who basically bullied me about it now saying they are "going gluten free" and asking for advice, now that really annoys me. Mostly doing it for 'weight loss'. I can tell you now, it doesn't not help you to lose weight. I have no problem with doing stuff because they want to, but I am tired of being made to feel like an outcast or because I am doing it as a fad.


Ash_Mathew is offline
wooda2008 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Love ABV saison -- what's the history on it? highgravitybacon General Beer Discussion 6 03-17-2013 03:38 PM
Love to know what you think about my recipe jphalabuk Extract Brewing 9 02-21-2013 04:41 PM
Christmas Ale recipe, would love feedback Bramstoker17 Extract Brewing 24 11-23-2012 05:22 PM
I'm looking for a saison recipe that will resemble this rock bottom saison wadeo All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 10 01-09-2012 01:33 PM
Left Hand - would love a recipe! Yooper Recipes/Ingredients 0 07-25-2006 10:29 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS