I had previously posted about wanting to make a beer for a friend whose almost-wife (wedding in two weeks) has celiac disease. After looking at a lot of material and asking a lot of advice, this is the recipe I created. As of today (4/2/13) I haven't yet tasted it fully carbonated, etc., though I have had a sample after checking the gravity, and I'm very pleased with the results. That is to say I don't normally brew GF, so I'm very new to this, but I think it's good! I figured I'd post it here in case anyone wants to make something similar. (As part of my research into GF beers, I have had the Alchemist's Celia beer, and I don't remember precisely how similar this is.)
One important note: I did use WLP566, which is not technically gluten free, but instead is extremely low in slurry form (12 ppm). My understanding is that when used in beer, any gluten is sufficiently dilute that the beer that results would pass government standards for GF (< 2ppm). (See http://www.whitelabs.com/faq/beer-professional
) I had planned to use Danstar's Belle Saison yeast but couldn't get any of it in time; I imagine that would be best practice.
3 GALLON BATCH RECIPE
link is here: http://hopville.com/recipe/1691863
.5 lb gluten-free oats
1 lb chestnuts
Mash with amylase at 150F for 60 minutes.
2 lbs Briess sorghum syrup
10 oz orange blossom honey
8 oz maltodextrin
8 oz (home made) amber candy sugar
This recipe uses only a 35 minute boil, since hop usage is pretty simple. From what I've read, it's also good to add many of the sugar/syrup ingredients close to the end of the boil. So:
35 mins: 1 oz Styrian Goldings pellet (4.5% AA)
10 minutes: 1/3 a whirlifloc tablet
7 minutes: add all of the "other fermentables" above
5 minutes: add zest of one Seville/sour/bitter orange, and 1 tsp crushed Indian coriander; also add yeast nutrient
As mentioned above, I used WLP566, though 565 would also work if you have time and patience and/or it's going to be hot enough for that yeast to work. I pitched the yeast with wort in the high 60s, and allowed temperature to free rise; mine hit 75F. Fermentation was very quick (566 is known for that).
I will bottle shortly; might use turbinado for priming.