Looking to clone Not Your Father's Root Beer (Small Town Brewery)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antiteam

Reaction score
I had this beer at a multitap outside of Chicago. It's pretty impressive. The reviews are spot on - it tastes exactly like root beer, very sweet, no alcohol taste or burn. Look and smell are just like root beer as well.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24798/86622

I'm trying to figure out a clone. It's a small brewery, so not having a lot of luck finding anyone that has tried already.

Here's what I'm thinking may go into this:
  1. Pretty basic grain bill to produce a 10% beer. Low bitterness is key.
  2. Use one of those root beer flavorings sold by brewing stores for making your own pop. Add before fermentation.
  3. Either backsweeten with aspertame (guessing this is how the brewery does it, based on the taste) or filter and backstreet with sugar

I'm planning on reaching out to the brewer to see if he can provide any feedback or direction. Haven't had time lately, as I'm in the middle of a move to Kansas City. In the meantime, would love thoughts from anyone that has tried something similar. Thanks!

I am subscribed as I want to know how yours turns out. I've attempted hard root beer three times with poor results. The first time was a mead, the latter two were beers. The mead was easily the worst. The first beer attempt I attempted to brew with root beer spices, the second time I used a flavor extract.

I would say go light on the hops. You can backsweeten with Splenda as well. Sprecher makes a root beer syrup, as opposed to an extract, that could be used for backsweetening and flavoring as long as you can either suspend or filter the yeast.

Funny story about this beer. We went to a local World of Beer for a couple. World of Beer does not serve food, but they have a very open BYOF policy. This couple comes in and they order some "Not your Father Rootbeer", and proceed to pull all a tub of french vanilla ice-cream. They made root beer floats out of it, genius!

And the stuff is real gooood.

I am subscribed as I want to know how yours turns out. I've attempted hard root beer three times with poor results. The first time was a mead, the latter two were beers. The mead was easily the worst. The first beer attempt I attempted to brew with root beer spices, the second time I used a flavor extract.

I would say go light on the hops. You can backsweeten with Splenda as well. Sprecher makes a root beer syrup, as opposed to an extract, that could be used for backsweetening and flavoring as long as you can either suspend or filter the yeast.

How were the results when you used the flavor extract? What was your process with that one? I'll have to check out the Sprecher root beer syrup. Sounds promising.

Funny story about this beer. We went to a local World of Beer for a couple. World of Beer does not serve food, but they have a very open BYOF policy. This couple comes in and they order some "Not your Father Rootbeer", and proceed to pull all a tub of french vanilla ice-cream. They made root beer floats out of it, genius!

And the stuff is real gooood.

Actually, the World of Beer in Naperville is exactly where I tried this beer. The bartender told us about the people having tried it as ice-cream floats. I bet it would be amazing. I'll have to try it out, if I can clone something even close.

How were the results when you used the flavor extract? What was your process with that one? I'll have to check out the Sprecher root beer syrup. Sounds promising.

Unfortunately the batches were all done before I started taking meticulous notes but this is what I remember. I used a bottle of Old Fashioned Root Beer Extract. Since I was bottling at the time my goal was to brew a beer that did not need to be back-sweetened. I believe the bill was mostly extract, except for 2-3 lbs of light crystal, I believe it was 20L, barely any hops. I fermented the beer as normal and added the root beer extract when racking to a secondary. Stirred it up and let it sit somewhere cold for a few days to settle out before I bottled it. Was worried about the sweetness so I added a lb of lactose as I bottled it.

It took forever to carb, thanks to the extract. When it finally did, I had something that tasted like weak root beer. The flavor tasted almost watered down and was only slightly sweet, with horrible head retention. It also had a slightly off putting metallic taste, similar to that of molasses, I could never finish a whole one. I did use it to make a few floats though. Upon further review, the root beer extract I used was only meant to flavor 4 gallons, not 5.5. But I still would not repeat the experiment with that extract as I've only heard bad things about it since. I've been leery about doing any more experimental batches as they never turn out as good as my intentions.

I believe that to truly make this good, bottle conditioning is not an option. This way you can backsweeten. Make a pretty plain beer, doesn't have to be completely neutral, some maltyness might actually go well with it. And use a good flavoring, I would go with a syrup cause it takes care of both the flavoring and the sugar. And I would add any flavoring after fermentation to make sure the yeast don't eat the flavors up. I hope my failure helps you towards better results, that I may feel confident to try this once again.

Subscribed! I had this the other day and it is really amazing stuff! I think when i give this a shot maybe bulk up on medium crystal to provide the sweetness this needs and then add lactose in secondary if it is still not sweet enough. Was going to try from scratch, but I think that increases the chance of things going wrong- will probably shoot for a good extract for my first shot at this. Keep us posted!!!

Where to start on the base for this one? Something like this? (note, I'll probably keep it down in the 6-7% ABV range)

6 lbs Dark DME

3 lbs Marris Otter
1 lb Dark Brown Sugar
1 lb Crystal (120L)
.5 lbs debittered black patent or other smooth dark malt

Hops? Don't know- maybe just a very small charge at 60M to get about 10 IBU's or so??

Some sort of neutral ale yeast.

Add rootbeer extract in secondary. Lactose to adjust sweetness if necessary before bottling.

Eh????

Where to start on the base for this one? Something like this? (note, I'll probably keep it down in the 6-7% ABV range)

6 lbs Dark DME

3 lbs Marris Otter
1 lb Dark Brown Sugar
1 lb Crystal (120L)
.5 lbs debittered black patent or other smooth dark malt

Hops? Don't know- maybe just a very small charge at 60M to get about 10 IBU's or so??

Some sort of neutral ale yeast.

Add rootbeer extract in secondary. Lactose to adjust sweetness if necessary before bottling.

Eh????

Remember that root beer extract and syrup will make it dark on its own. So the dark dme and debittered black patent aren't necessary. Plus they might add roasty flavors not associated with root beer.

Hmm, good to know- thanks! So to reforumulate (and I'm scaling down to a three gallon batch for the first go at this)...how does this look?

3 lbs Light DME
2 lbs Marris Otter
1 lb Dark Brown Sugar or Piloncillo (should provide a nice rum-like note)
.5 lbs Crystal 80L

60M .5 oz Fuggles (~10 IBU's)

Yeast: S-05? Nottingham?

Gnome Rootbeer Extract, 4 oz added to secondary (other suggestions for extract are welcome as well, seems to be a diversity of opinion as to which is best other than to avoid Rainbow brand)

Lactose, added before bottling to adjust sweetness if necessary (I have a feeling there will be plenty of residual sweetness though)

Looking better?

Definitely looks better. Not sure how sweet it'll be though. Looks a lot like my last attempt, but with less crystal. Then again, I've never had the root beer this thread was started over.
Just something to consider, if you do a mini mash you will get less residual sweetness from the crystal than if you just steep it. Its your decision how to make it though so just keep in mind that whatever you do it's towards a good cause. Just make sure you return with the results

I like this stuff it's really good.I had someone tell me that they think Small Town uses distillers yeast. I went to a brew fest and Small town was there. Was asking the guy that was pouring the beer what type of yeast they use and he told me they make their own. Clearly a distributor and not a brewer.

I know this is kind of a dead thread, but I'm been thinking of giving this a try. After reading some of the posts, I've come to these conclusions (correct me if I'm wrong):

1. Mash low - I would think you'd want this to finish really dry because you will then be adding back sugar/flavoring for the root beer sweetness.

2. This beer doesn't even taste like beer, it tastes like Root beer the soda. I'd think the simplest grain bill possible would serve best for this recipe. All of the flavors would come from the Root Beer flavorings because that's what it's supposed to taste like and the alcohol would come from the grain. I'm thinking a 100% Pale Malt bill and that's it.

I'd want to go somewhere in the 7-8% range as a test because I'd be worried about possible issues with it not finishing dry enough and really just as a test for flavor.

Someone chime in if I'm way off base with these 2 notes. Thanks.

Did you ever end up making this? How did it come out?

Have you taken a look at this???

http://byo.com/soda-pop/item/1299-real-root-beer

Still haven't tried it. Shortly after my initial post, I ended up taking a new job and moving out of state, which significantly reduced the amount of brewing I've been able to do over the last 6 months. My wife and I were just talking about this recipe the other day, though, so we may try it out soon.

I did read a thread warning about Rood Beer syrup and how the flavor/smell is very difficult to get out of your keg and lines. That gives me a bit of pause, since I don't want everything to taste like root beer!

I know this is kind of a dead thread, but I'm been thinking of giving this a try. After reading some of the posts, I've come to these conclusions (correct me if I'm wrong):

1. Mash low - I would think you'd want this to finish really dry because you will then be adding back sugar/flavoring for the root beer sweetness.

2. This beer doesn't even taste like beer, it tastes like Root beer the soda. I'd think the simplest grain bill possible would serve best for this recipe. All of the flavors would come from the Root Beer flavorings because that's what it's supposed to taste like and the alcohol would come from the grain. I'm thinking a 100% Pale Malt bill and that's it.

I'd want to go somewhere in the 7-8% range as a test because I'd be worried about possible issues with it not finishing dry enough and really just as a test for flavor.

That's right in line with what I've been thinking about doing. Let us know how things go if you try it out.

What about the color?

Still haven't tried it. Shortly after my initial post, I ended up taking a new job and moving out of state, which significantly reduced the amount of brewing I've been able to do over the last 6 months. My wife and I were just talking about this recipe the other day, though, so we may try it out soon.

I did read a thread warning about Rood Beer syrup and how the flavor/smell is very difficult to get out of your keg and lines. That gives me a bit of pause, since I don't want everything to taste like root beer!

I understand not having time. I have been trying to get to it but life has gotten in the way. Yes I agree with you I wouldn't keg this brew due to flavor never leaving the keg and lines.

What about the color?

In my recipe/perspective, the color is coming from the Root Beer syrup alone. Again, if I want this to taste like Root Beer but have alcohol in it, why worry about getting anything but the alcohol part from the grain and yeast? That deep brown color should be easily obtained from the syrup if you've got a nice clear color to start with from the beginning.

I understand not having time. I have been trying to get to it but life has gotten in the way. Yes I agree with you I wouldn't keg this brew due to flavor never leaving the keg and lines.

Uhhhh I love root beer and I love beer. If it's good, what's wrong with having this stuff on tap year round?!?! :mug:

Did you ever end up making this? How did it come out?

Have you taken a look at this???

http://byo.com/soda-pop/item/1299-real-root-beer

Last night I did my first brew using this recipe however the only thing missing was the sweet gale. The OG was 1.044 and the color going into the fermenter "looked" like it was 25-30. At the moment the yeast has been in for roughly over 14 hours and its bubbling away. The recipe asks for lactose however doesn't say when to put it in. From what I read about adding lactose it is done during the priming/bottling stage and based on the portion would believe that to be true. What do you think?

My apologies if i used any incorrect terms. This is my first brew ever and I am just learning.

Last night I did my first brew using this recipe however the only thing missing was the sweet gale. The OG was 1.044 and the color going into the fermenter "looked" like it was 25-30. At the moment the yeast has been in for roughly over 14 hours and its bubbling away. The recipe asks for lactose however doesn't say when to put it in. From what I read about adding lactose it is done during the priming/bottling stage and based on the portion would believe that to be true. What do you think?

My apologies if i used any incorrect terms. This is my first brew ever and I am just learning.

I think adding it at the bottling stage is fine. Just boil like 8 oz of water and add it to that then add it to the beer. Same with the corn sugar to prime the bottles unless your kegging. Wow this is the recipe you went after as your first! Good for you! Looking forward to see how it turns out.

The recipe posted above has a incredible grocery list. I have made a few batches of cider but nothing even close to that monster. I really want to do a hard root beer badly but I am not willing to buy 300 dollars worth of ingredients. I'm thinking of just adding an undetermined yeast to spring water, nutrient and probably brown sugar then at secondary adding lactose, vanilla and root beer extract. Seems simple enough.....thoughts?

Just stumbled upon this thread. I emailed the brewer a couple months ago to try and weasel some insight out of him because I was just generally curious as to what went into this incredible beverage. Here is his response:

Will,

I can tell you we use all natural ingredients and never an extract…

That’s what makes it so good… J

Plus I get my Honey from Switzerland…

The Barley comes from the USA… As well as the hops…

I hope you enjoy all our beers…

Thanks Tim

Just stumbled upon this thread. I emailed the brewer a couple months ago to try and weasel some insight out of him because I was just generally curious as to what went into this incredible beverage. Here is his response:

Will,

I can tell you we use all natural ingredients and never an extract…

That’s what makes it so good… J

Plus I get my Honey from Switzerland…

The Barley comes from the USA… As well as the hops…

I hope you enjoy all our beers…

Thanks Tim
Hmph, thanks for nuthin......

I can tell you that they make an alcoholic beverage and mix it with a home made root beer, that will be all you get out of me, good luck with your attempts to clone it;)

It is a damn good drink!

I can tell you that they make an alcoholic beverage and mix it with a home made root beer, that will be all you get out of me, good luck with your attempts to clone it;)

It is a damn good drink!

I would assume they do that in the secondary phase or at the kegging stage...? Maybe letting it sit in a fridge for a long period of time before its ready, would allow all the flavors to properly mix.

---The n00b :)

The recipe posted above has a incredible grocery list. I have made a few batches of cider but nothing even close to that monster. I really want to do a hard root beer badly but I am not willing to buy 300 dollars worth of ingredients. I'm thinking of just adding an undetermined yeast to spring water, nutrient and probably brown sugar then at secondary adding lactose, vanilla and root beer extract. Seems simple enough.....thoughts?

My ex's dad owned a farm with about ten apple trees and with in the first year of me hanging out on the farm i found out he did nothing with the apples. His reply was "Oh they were here when we got here. The apples fall and the chickens eat them and some times the dogs." At that point I talked him into making apple wine and hard cider. That is my start into "home brewing" but this year is my first with beer.

The list was a bit pricey however it was under 100$ but if i had purchase sweet gal i would of been up there. The funny thing is i live in the Midwest so Wisconsin is not to far from my and the plan grows naturally.

After this batch I think I'm going to tone it down a bit and make this recipe a 1 gallon set up until i get it the way i want it. You do have the right mind set... too much $$$ for a home brewing in a testing phase. I do like your ideas and if you don't mind, may i borrow them.

---the n00b

I think adding it at the bottling stage is fine. Just boil like 8 oz of water and add it to that then add it to the beer. Same with the corn sugar to prime the bottles unless your kegging. Wow this is the recipe you went after as your first! Good for you! Looking forward to see how it turns out.

I just racked it to the secondary. It came out pretty dark and once i removed the lid from the fermenter, it smelled great. Since i had it open i pulled a gravity reading and snuck a taste.

Readings-
OG: 1.044
*secondary* 1.01
FG (two more weeks)

Taste:
You can taste all the natural roots and ingredients however it was really bitter. Almost like a tea with not enough water and no sugar added. Think i should be worried about sweetening it up?

Pics: http://imgur.com/v3TkgAT
http://imgur.com/0sxgZOn

Sounds like you may not have much of a choice but to backsweeten, also sounds like rootbeer would taste if it had no sugar. Just be careful if you are going to bottle. And you are more than welcome to try my ideas, I would be happy to know if it works or not.

I will also add that I currently have a keg of this in my basement and I will be drinking about half of it then counter pressure bottling the rest. I'd be happy to do a side by side at some point.
UjycpBs.jpg

We might have to do a trade, I would love to try some. The only other one I ever had was Bourbon barrel aged and that was the only thing I didn't like about it.

Sounds like you may not have much of a choice but to backsweeten, also sounds like rootbeer would taste if it had no sugar. Just be careful if you are going to bottle. And you are more than welcome to try my ideas, I would be happy to know if it works or not.

At the end of the recipe they ask for 2.oz of lactose power however they never stated when it is support to be added. If I follow the proper measurements listed on Home Brew Talk I will need 1lb of lactose for a 5 gallon batch. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Back_sweetening I happen to have 1lb of lactose available however I'm not sure if i should apply it at the secondary phase or during the priming phase before bottling.

Not sure since it is unfermentable, I guess it doesn't matter huh?

To play on the safe side i just added 1/2 lb in the secondary and when I pull my final gravity before bottling I will sneak a taste. If it needs the last 1/2 lb before bottling I'll stir it into my bottling bucket, prime, bottle, cap and pray.

---The n00b

To play on the safe side i just added 1/2 lb in the secondary and when I pull my final gravity before bottling I will sneak a taste. If it needs the last 1/2 lb before bottling I'll stir it into my bottling bucket, prime, bottle, cap and pray.

---The n00b

Be sure to dissolve it in a couple cups of hot water before stirring it in. It won't mix thoroughly if this isn't done. I'm sure you knew but looking at your tag.....:rockin:

I will also add that I currently have a keg of this in my basement and I will be drinking about half of it then counter pressure bottling the rest. I'd be happy to do a side by side at some point.
UjycpBs.jpg

Oh man am I ever jealous! Where did you buy it at?

I'm in Chicago this week for work. I may have to go track some of this stuff down...

Don't forget to visit the small town brewery's website for locations that may have it on tap. They currently list the bars that purchase kegs from them but not all of the have it on tap at the moment. I recommend calling ahead.

Good call. I should try to track down the 19.5% version somewhere. If I'm going to go for it, I might as well go all out!

Latest posts

Back