National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > CO2 Leak?

Old 04-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
Robin0782
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default CO2 Leak?

So yesterday I ran out of CO2. This was pretty surprising to me because I just got a refill 2 kegs ago. The tank before this one lasted for 7 or 8 kegs... Two variables are that I got a new regulator not long after my last CO2 refill. I also started using a (new to me) keg, a Firestone. I noticed that is has a smaller gas dip tube, and that it's plastic.

All I can think is that either the regulator is leaking somewhere (I did a soapy water test and couldn't find any leaks), maybe I just didn't have it tightened enough to the tank, or perhaps the gas in quick disconnect isn't quite fitting perfectly on my Firestone keg. When I first filled it and attached the gas it WAS clearly leaking gas from the quick disconnect (I could hear it) but I thought I fixed that. Jiggling the disconnect now I don't see any bubbles or hear any gas escaping. I'm using the same disconnects I use with my Pepsi keg, not sure if that matters.

Right now after getting a CO2 refill this morning the pressure reads 550 lbs on my regulator. Any thoughts on what else I could do to check for a problem would be appreciated.

One last thing, the gasket that you put in between the tank and the regulator, does it matter which way it sits in there?