Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South Central USA > Texas HomeBrew Forum > DFW visit: What to do, where to go?

Old 04-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
Hernando
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Default DFW visit: What to do, where to go?

I will be heading to DFW for a wedding Mid-July. I was hoping to get some insight from some locals as far as good places to visit brewery/Pubfood wise as well as fun things to do on the cheap. I don't mind some touristy stuff but I prefer to hit the places that are fun and not packed with tourists like myself, (i.e. river tubing). I appreciate any insight and will return the favor if you ever visit Denver. Cheers!

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." --Jack Handey
O'tega Labrewtories

Old 04-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #2
Zuljin
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3975 Times on 3551 Posts
Likes Given: 912

The Flying Saucer in Addison or Ft Worth are great beer bars. Top notch selections, decent prices for a bar and cool clientele. Good food. They get busy on the weekend nights, of course. Ft Worth is the funkier one, in a good funk way.

The Stockyards of Ft Worth can be fun for on foot bar hoping. The early crowd is light and calm. The night crowd gets thick and rowdy. Good times rowdy. And someone's usually got some livestock our there. Horses, cattle, a llama or a camel.

You can tour Rhars. I've been. It was neat. The place looked like it was cobbled together by homebrewing junkmen. Great beer. I think Four Corners in Dallas is doing stuff now.

Both cities have a zoo and the Dallas aquarium is nice.

Car shows are common in the spring through fall.

The metroplex, aka metromess, is huge and under a lot of construction. Bring a GPS and avoid interstates through either Dallas or Ft Worth as much as you can. 121, 161 and 183 get bogged down during rush hours too.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
FunkytownBrewyard
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Are you going to be mostly in Dallas or Fort Worth? Or do you care how much driving you do while here? I only ask, as it will definitely determine the prioritized list I'm working on for you.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
Hernando
Recipes 

Most of our time will be on the Dallas side but I never mind driving as long as I am not stuck on a highway as zuljin mentioned.
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." --Jack Handey
O'tega Labrewtories

Old 04-03-2013, 01:03 AM   #5
Lotterywinner73
Recipes 

Every brewery does tours on Saturday just about, a couple smaller Dallas side ones are Franconia, 4 Corners, Deep Ellum, Peticolas, Community.

In May there is the Dallas Brew Riot-Home Brew competition. There is a whole thread on here about it.

I would recommend planning indoor things. If you are a science geek the Perot Muesum is awesome, sells out early so get tickets online though.

As far as eating, I can only really speak to places in my neck of the woods.
Ten Bells Tavern - is AWESOME food and great local beer selection. It is English style pub so no TVs or anything but a great patio and like I said super food.
Jonathon's Oak Cliff - close runner up to Ten Bells, but a lot more known with the hipster crowd so can be extremely packed.
Other local spots in Oak Cliff that I enjoy and have good selections of brew-Oddfellows, Eno's, Tillman's Roadhouse, Bolsa.
If you want real Mexican I recommend El Ranchito (inland mexican) or La Calle Doce (coastal mexican)

Fuel City is a gas station downtown that is a good killer of an hour or so. They have the best taco's in Dallas according to D Magazine. I prefer the breakfast ones, but the lunch/dinner ones are good to. They have Longhorns and what not on site too.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:08 AM   #6
cageybee
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 140

just eat, eat, eat. they invented food in Texas. mos def get some good Texas BBQ...everything else isnt.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:11 AM   #7
rtb178
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I spent a summer there. I suggest Meddlesome Moth. It's great for beer, with friendly bartenders. Food is a bit heavy, so watch out.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
FunkytownBrewyard
Recipes 

In addition to those mentioned, Holy Grail near Legacy is nice. Trinity Hall, uptown Ginger Man, any of the Flying Saucers, The Common Table, Jack Mac's, Goodfriend, The Londoner, The Allen Wickers, Bryan Street Tavern, Zio Carlo's (Fort Worth), Live Oak (Fort Worth).

Bottles to go: Kegs & Barrels, Spec's, Total Wine & More (FW), World Beer Co Bottle Shop

For Growler fills: Whole Foods, Zio Carlo's (FW), World Beer Co Bottle Shop

BrewRiot should be another fun event this year, and I'd +1 the recommendation of checking it out. And it's definitely worth checking out the Meddlesom Moth.

Breweries:
Rahr (Fort Worth)
Martin House (Fort Worth)
Community
Peticolas
Lakewood
Four Corners
Firewheel
Deep Ellum
Franconia (McKinney)
Cedar Creek (Seven Points)
Revolver (Granbury)
(and as mentioned, most, if not all, do Saturday tour hours.)

There are more, and as I think of solid ones, I'll come back and add them here. Hope you enjoy your visit!

Old 04-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #9
FunkytownBrewyard
Recipes 

For non-beer related items:

Fort Worth Zoo rocks!
Also, the Fort's museum block is a wonderful experience.
Dallas has some great places as well, but I'm typically only east of 360 for work or beer.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
Hernando
Recipes 

Thank you all for the helpful input. I will definitely be checking out some of these laces. I sadly, won't be there for The Riot but I am definitely going to look into the Perot museum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cageybee View Post
just eat, eat, eat. they invented food in Texas. mos def get some good Texas BBQ...everything else isnt.
Is there a place in mind that I should go to for that Texas BBQ?

O'tega Labrewtories