Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Berliner weisse sour mash: how tart do you go?

Old 04-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #11
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts

I did a Berliner Weisse a couple weeks ago with the intent on getting it as sour as possible. I let the wort sour instead of the mash though. No-boil, no-hops, 7 day 120F wort rest with no Sacch (CO2 purged). pH got down to 3.3 after the 7 day rest and that's when I pitched the Sacch. It wasn't as sour as I expected after the 7 day period but it still had all of the sugar left according to refractometer readings.

Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel, Wee-Heavy

Old 04-04-2013, 01:47 AM   #12
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 430 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have no doubt you will make a tasty beer, but if you are diluting 4:1 I suspect it will not be anywhere near as sour as you want.

Ideally you want to sour the entire batch (either sparge and then sour, or add the sparge water to the mash and sour), and you want it to go until the lacto decides to give up. When the PH gets low enough the lacto will move into it's dormant phase.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:38 PM   #13
Quetzolcotl
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

ocluke, any update on this from last year? i'm going to dilute my berliner wort by half after a sour mash. How did yours turn out after diluting that much?

Old 09-11-2014, 12:56 PM   #14
roink
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I don't think there is much to worry about, as pH is a logarithmic scale.
If your sour wort has a pH of about 3.5 diluting by half will give you a pH of about 3.8.

I don't think you can take that into consideration when souring the wort by taste.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #15
ocluke
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetzolcotl View Post
ocluke, any update on this from last year? i'm going to dilute my berliner wort by half after a sour mash. How did yours turn out after diluting that much?
Yes, I have I since brewed 2 additional batches in addition to the one I was working on at the time of this post. What I found was that the sour taste profile does come through post fermentation. I do not have a scientific explanation for why the sour flavor perception persists. I use a very soft water profile with essentially no bicarbonate, which might help keep the sparge water from raising the pH. Another contributing factor might be that once the sugars are fermented and the beer dries out, the perceived sourness raises.

My current sour mash process is about 105-110F for 2-3 days (typically 3).

Old 09-13-2014, 05:32 PM   #16
Max_Chavez
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I use a very similar technique. I end up souring the whole mash @1.25qt/lb which leaves me about 60% of the total water coming in during the sparge, post souring. As was just mentioned, when you dilute by 60%, you're not diluting the ph by 60%.
I also found that checking the ph of the sour mash every 12 hours, that the decline in ph becomes more gradual. I.e., you might go from 5.5 to 3.9 the first two days, but then only hit 3.7 on day 3. So, if you're expecting a large sparge volume, I'd say don't be afraid to give it another day if you're on the fence about sourness.
My next plan is to do a split batch sour mash and sour wort and compare those two side by side.
Cheers!

Old 09-18-2014, 05:31 PM   #17
ocluke
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Chavez View Post
My next plan is to do a split batch sour mash and sour wort and compare those two side by side.
Cheers!
By "sour wort" do you mean kettle souring on the hot side, or fermenter souring prior to pitching yeast on the cold side?

Old 09-18-2014, 06:15 PM   #18
Max_Chavez
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I mean a pre-boil, sour mash and wort. Backstory- I brew at work with some other guys on shared equipment, so I try to keep most bugs in check, but recently started 1gal experiments at home. So, when I do the two pre-boil sours at work, I'll probably bring home some sour wort to start a 100% lacto ferm(have to secure hetero) and a brett/lacto as well. 4 berliner side by side-watchout!