Water Levels for my First Saison All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerMikey

Reaction score
Hi all I'm a newbie but have been reading and reviewing various brewing calculators available to come up with my first Saison.

I think my water levels are off, so if the community can help review and sort out any glaring issues I would be very happy:

Boil Volume 21 L
Batch Size 13.06 L 3.43 Gal.

Total Grain Bill 8.59 lbs (3.86 kg)
2RS Pilsen 80% 6.80 lbs (3.116 kg)
Vienna 15% 1.27 lbs. (.58 kg)
Wheat Blanc 5% .42 lbs (.194 kg)

- Mash Time 90 mins
Heat about 8 L (probably should do 10 L)water to 71°C (159.8° F) to compensate for Grain heat absorption. Watch temp during pour / dough in to ensure water temp comes down to 64°C (148° F) Beta Amylase rest for 60 minutes.
Raise the temperature to around 68 °C (154 °F) by adding 1.2 L of boiling water for a 15-minute alpha-amylase rest.
- Mashout and Recirculate:
Raise temp to 74 °C (166 °F) by adding 4 L of boiling water stire to achieve even tempertue in gain bed. Begin draining about 3 L and pour over the top until the wort begins clearing.
- Batch Sparge:
Heat up another 12-15 L +/- and start Sparge when temp it hit.
Sparge with about 13 L at 76 °C (170 °F) get boil kettle to 21 L

I completed the Mash drain/sparge with pre-boil at 20.5 L
Pre-boil OG
1.055 OG from first running and sparge
1.037 OG from 2nd runnings
Post boil OG 1.055 measured @76.4 F
Total batch size after cooling ended up at 14 L

(Total boil is 75 minutes)
Saaz 20 g - 45 minutes added 15 mins after boiling started
Styrian Goldings (8g) 30 minutes
Styrian Goldings (8 g) 2 minutes
Hoping for IBU 26 - 28 (looks like might be 25)

Yeast
Pitch 8 g. Safbrew T-58 at 75 °F

Hi there, an update on the fermentation for my first Saison. I just had to check and see how the attenuation was coming along with T-58. After only three days it has come down from 1.055 to 1.013(checked at 72F). The airlock is still active releasing 4-5 bubbles a minute, so the yeast is still doing it's job. i will try to resist the urge to check gravity until I am ready to rack.
Some quck questions:
Anyone have any thoughts on how dry this might get by bottling time?
Does anyone think I should try gradually raising the temp to say 78-80. Not sure how T-58 would respond to that. Right now the smell is distinctly Honey and Citrus(no sugar or honey added to the boil).

first saison.jpg

Latest posts

Back