Help me ruin some beer!(DIY off flavors?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello there! I'm planning on taking the certified cicerone exam pretty soon, and while I've read all about off flavors in beer and their causes, I've hardly tasted any of them. I know there are off flavor kits out there that you can pay ridiculous sums of money for, and I'm not too inclined to do that, so I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on good ways to replicate some of the common off flavors?

Thanks for the post. I think a lot of those look to be a bit outside of my means. I'm going to be bottling a brown ale today. I'm going to try to oxidize one just leaving it uncapped for a couple days. I'm also going to leave a bottle in the window for a week to try creating a like struck beer. I'll give the acetic doping a beer with vinegar a go too. I'll post results in a couple weeks when they're ready for drinking.

Oxidizing is pretty easy- fill a bottle halfway and cap- shake like hell, then fill the rest of the bottle.

Diacetyl is also easy- a couple drops of artificial theater butter for popcorn should do it.

Lightstruck is the easiest- just put 12oz of beer in one clear bottle and cap, then leave on your window sill for a week or two while it carbonates.

First, get one of the LHBS to hold a homebrew tasting night. Free beer and the public can get a taste for the possibilities. It's a great way for an LHBS to get new customers.

Second, grab your notepad and list of off-flavors.

Third, start sampling and get ready to write like a madman.

Sorry for being a bit slow in posting my results, and I will say, my experimentation was not to expansive.

Oxidizing beer was definitely the most successful. I filled a bottle about half way, shook it, and left it out on my kitchen counter top uncapped for 4 days. I then capped it and let it age another week and a half. I did a side by side tasting with another bottle that was filled and stored under normal conditions, and the result was incredibly obvious. The oxidized bottle smelled very strongly of papery/cardboard, and tasted it too. I was nervous an infection would occur leaving it uncapped for so long, but luckily it didn't.

My only other experiment was to generate light struck beer. To do so, I just stuck a bottle from the same batch in the window for about a week and a half. since I'm in Seattle, the sun was never really out during this time, and when it finally did show itself, I got a quick lesson in why you should not put a pressurized glass container in the hot sun. After cleaning up that explosion I put another bottle in the sun for a couple of hours, paying a bit more attention to temperature. This did create a subtle skunky aroma, but I'm sure using clear/green bottle would have been a much easier way to get a result.

I hope this can be helpful info to anyone looking to explore some off flavors!

Back