Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 5 cu ft freezer

Old 04-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #11
logdrum
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 56

And BTW I use a reptile lamp for the hot side. I also rigged up an old computer fan than runs continuously on another circuit. Moving to this set up has improved the character, consistency and ease of fermentation enormously.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #12
BigFloyd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 722 Times on 629 Posts
Likes Given: 630

My third STC-1000 is on the way. Those little $20 dual controllers are awesome.

One operates the fermenter chamber (upright freezer). #2 is on the 3-faucet keezer (a chest freezer). The third will be for a lagering/cold crash chamber once I find another good freezer or fridge on Craigslist.

I use the DIY paint can fermenter heater (light bulb mounted inside) for mine and like it.

Precise temp control----> happy yeast----> tastier brew.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #13
JohnK93
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Well, I picked up the freezer the other day, got home, plugged it in, everything seems good. Plus, I was up at Lowes today and check to see what they had, just to see if I got a good deal on the ebay freezer. The 5 cubic foot was $170 (I paid $100) so I was satisfied, but I seemed to recall mine being bigger than what Lowes had. When I got home, I checked the label on the freezer I bought and it turns out it's the 7 cubic feet model! I got a free 2 cubic feet! I guess the woman I bought it from didn't realize it was the bigger model...she probably looked up the model number that was on the manual, but it's the manual for both sizes.

Now I'm just waiting for my STC-1000...have to get a heat lamp, then I'll be good to go for my next batch, which will be a honey kolsch and my first time lagering (even though technically it's a hybrid).

John

Old 04-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #14
BigFloyd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 722 Times on 629 Posts
Likes Given: 630

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK93 View Post
Now I'm just waiting for my STC-1000...have to get a heat lamp, then I'll be good to go for my next batch, which will be a honey kolsch and my first time lagering (even though technically it's a hybrid).

John
Good for you John. You will absolutely love having the ability to precisely control ferment temps and do neat stuff like cold crash a batch at the touch of a few buttons.

Be aware that the STC-1000 has a compressor protection circuit. If you see the cold light flash and the freezer does not come on, don't worry. It's a delay feature built into the unit. Give it a few minutes, the light will go solid and the freezer will come on.

One more suggestion - a heat lamp isn't needed. A small heat source (like the DIY paint can heater or a reptile heater) will be plenty in that 7ft freezer. Plus, you really don't want to shine more light on the beer than you have to.