Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewing outdoors

Old 03-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
doubletapbrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am attempting my first outdoor brew today. I have cleaned everything, put everything in star San in my 5 gallon fermenter. Once the brew starts I will transfer some of the star San into some gallon jugs and dump the rest out since I have quite a bit already premade. A few questions I have, do you guys do everything outside including transferring wort into fermenter or do you move inside once the wort chills. I am going to do everything outside. I want to hear about your outdoor processes!

Old 03-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2867 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

I do everything outside....

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
doubletapbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Should I be worried about wild yeast finding its way in?

Old 03-29-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
bacchusmj
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts

Nothing better than outdoor brewing, unless its raining, or really windy. So much better than brewing in the garage.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
bacchusmj
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts

I pitch my yeast in-doors or pitch when the carboy is already in the ferm chamber.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
cgg
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I do everything outside, unless it's colder than 20F. Comfort demands change at that temp. You'll be fine outdoors, and generally, it's more pleasant out there.

Don't leave the kettle open too long after the boil is complete. Infection is possible, but it's not likely to be a problem so long as you don't dawdle, and you pitch a proper amount of yeast that will win out over the forces of evil wild beasts.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #7
doubletapbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ok I think I am going to chill indoors and pitch where I plan on fermenting.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 942 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubletapbrewing View Post
I am attempting my first outdoor brew today. I have cleaned everything, put everything in star San in my 5 gallon fermenter. Once the brew starts I will transfer some of the star San into some gallon jugs and dump the rest out since I have quite a bit already premade. A few questions I have, do you guys do everything outside including transferring wort into fermenter or do you move inside once the wort chills. I am going to do everything outside. I want to hear about your outdoor processes!
You don't really need to Star-San anything but stuff that's going to touch wort after it's cooled. Your fermentors, your airlocks, your bungs, the hoses. That kind of stuff. Everything else is going to be messing with the wort either before boiling or during boiling, so no need to sanitize that stuff.

I do everything outside except for pitching the yeast, but I only pitch the yeast inside because my stir plate is inside.

As for worrying about wild yeasts getting in your brew...provided that you pitch relatively soon after getting done, you have little to worry about wild yeasts taking over your batch. Undoubtedly, there will be some stray wild yeasts that will get in the wort after cooling. "Hey, guys! We made it into the wort! Look at all this sugar to eat! Woo hoo!" And then ONE HUNDRED BILLION BEER YEASTS SHOW UP. "Yeah, so you wild yeasts thought that this sugar was yours? Nah, sorry. This sugar is ours now. Prepare to die, wild yeast scum!"

Take precautions against wild yeasts, but don't be too worried about it.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #9
DaxBrewery
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I also do all my brewing outside, including sanitation, mashing, brewing and cleaning. I've yet to have an issue with contamination. One thing I do is keep my pot cover while cooling and as much as I can until the lid is on for fermentation.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2867 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoLincoln View Post

As for worrying about wild yeasts getting in your brew...provided that you pitch relatively soon after getting done, you have little to worry about wild yeasts taking over your batch. Undoubtedly, there will be some stray wild yeasts that will get in the wort after cooling. "Hey, guys! We made it into the wort! Look at all this sugar to eat! Woo hoo!" And then ONE HUNDRED BILLION BEER YEASTS SHOW UP. "Yeah, so you wild yeasts thought that this sugar was yours? Nah, sorry. This sugar is ours now. Prepare to die, wild yeast scum!"

Take precautions against wild yeasts, but don't be too worried about it.
This.

OP, you're overthinking/overworrying something that hundreds of thousands if not millions of folks do all the time, and have been doing since ancient times...brewing outdoors. Before there were buildings where people brewed, they did it outside...

In fact in a few weeks on the first Saturday in may brewers around the world, though mostly in north america are going to gather in the back parking lots or driveways or alleys and all brew out doors at the annual big brew day....and thoughs of us who are going to gather at are favorite homebrewshops, like we do every year. And there IS no place "inside" to do anything. And that includes pitching yeast or cooling our wort. And yet we gather together twice a year to dp this....

If there was such a risk to brewing by being outdoors....do you think we would be doing this?

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew