Temperature control - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Temperature control

Old 03-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY
Liked 2134 Times on 1409 Posts

If you made a little cozy for your carboy and lined the inside with solar blanket or aluminum foil, would it have a noticable effect on the temperature? If so how?

Please discuss... as I personally got a C in science in high school.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 03-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 5010 Times on 3381 Posts

I also got a C in science in high school. So I feel that I am qualified to answer, as my suggestion is probably as likely to help you out as not.

Placing a cozy over your carboy will insulate it. Which means that if you have yeast inside the carboy generating heat, that heat will tend to stay inside (compared to not using a cozy) and building up. So if you want your fermentation to run hot, then this is a good idea.

If you want to cool the beer, then you would need to find a way to wick the heat away by exposing it to something colder. There are some fancy formulas that involve Thermal Mass and Thermal Conductivity and such like that. They involve numbers and physics I think.