Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Pitched on roselare/dregs cake with no activity 40hrs in. HELP

Old 03-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
HorseHair
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Pitched on roselare/dregs cake with no activity 40hrs in. HELP

So i pitched a brown ale base(1.052) on a 1 year old roselare cake that also had dregs from several commercial sours/brett beers and 40 hours in theres still no signs of activity. The beer the cake came from finished at 8.5% abv and im wondering if that has something to do with the issue and all the bugs are dead. Should i wait it out or run to the LHBS and grab some fresh bugs.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
bellmtbbq
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Give it one more day, then I'd start to worry. 8.5% is a little high, and I'm sure it killed the lacto, but the pedio will remain, and the smaller population of sour bacteria should counteract the increased sourness of a second generation Roselare cake.

Even if it appears like it's not moving in twenty fours, don't rack it into a new carboy, leave the old bugs there. They'll either be a nice nutrient for the new bugs to increase sour/funkyness, or maybe some wake up and help out. Who knows

Fathom Brewing

-TF

Old 03-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
HorseHair
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmtbbq View Post
Give it one more day, then I'd start to worry. 8.5% is a little high, and I'm sure it killed the lacto, but the pedio will remain, and the smaller population of sour bacteria should counteract the increased sourness of a second generation Roselare cake.

Even if it appears like it's not moving in twenty fours, don't rack it into a new carboy, leave the old bugs there. They'll either be a nice nutrient for the new bugs to increase sour/funkyness, or maybe some wake up and help out. Who knows

Yeah i kind of figured the lacto would be completely gone hopefully i get some movement soon.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
BryanThompson
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 11

After a year with beer on it I would have added some fresh yeast to that cake. Add a pack of US05 if you have it.
Bottled: Traditional Mead aged on Maker's 46 soaked oak, Brett Maibock

Old 03-29-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 821 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 329

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanThompson View Post
After a year with beer on it I would have added some fresh yeast to that cake. Add a pack of US05 if you have it.
+1. you have no live sacc in there. pedio and lacto are slow. the Roeselare originally had sacc in it, that's what took off quickly. you need to replenish it. i believe that the sacc in Roeselare is the Achouff yeast (Ardennes by Wyeast), but any sacc should do the trick.

Drinking: black harvest ale (wet-hopped with homegrown hops), witbier, hoppy saison, local sour cherry kriek, oud bruin, gueuz'ish thing, saison bottled with ECY34
Fermenting: IPA w/ HBC-438 (thanks vinnie!), 2x saison w/ 3726, Ardennes BDSA
Aging: witbier with brett, TYB saison brett blend, Tripel'ish with brett, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, several other sours, acerglyn, and probably some stuff i've lost track of...

Old 03-29-2013, 11:38 PM   #6
HorseHair
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I ended up not touching it and as of this morning there was a krausen that has grown throughout the day and it seems to be chugging along nicely. thanks for the help