It happened AGAIN... *Graphic Content* - Page 6 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > It happened AGAIN... *Graphic Content*

Old 03-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #51
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY
Liked 2134 Times on 1409 Posts

just sounds like a godawful idea.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 03-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #52
dkwolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Sac City, IA
Liked 374 Times on 222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
So what you are saying is a guy goes in to willingly jump on what could well be the manmade equal to quicksand in an environment that is, if I am not mistaken, quite possibly explosive due to grain dust? Do I have that right?
You forget potentially toxic gasses from decomposition of spoiled grain, but, yeah.

And the mechanical aspect -- on a big storage bin with a 10" unloading auger at the bottom... if you're standing on top of the grain when that auger starts, you've got less than 10 seconds to get out of the bin before you'll be trapped in flowing grain.

I'd have to look at the numbers again, but when you're knee-deep in grain, the amount of lift it takes to get you out is around 100 lbs over your body weight. Waist deep I want to say it's around 300 lbs. If you're buried over your head, it takes over 2,000 lbs of lift to pull your body out.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #53
GrogNerd
mean old man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2012
Sterling, VA
Liked 2178 Times on 1368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
just sounds like a godawful idea.
agreed. yet there seems to be a never-ending supply of dumb effs doing dumb effing crap like that

and cheap vidcams keep Leif Garrett, Danny Bonaduce and Tonya Harding gainfully employed on that "World's Dumbest" show

drinking: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Fresh Squee Zed IPA - bottle conditioning: LoCo Foot Barleywine, Basque cider - lagering : Schwarzbier - fermenting: apple wine, Skeeter Pee - on deck: Grodziskie

Old 03-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #54
TNGabe
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Liked 2284 Times on 1539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin18
NPR was discussing the deaths of young men in grain silos yesterday. Terrible and completely preventable as well.
It's all week. I heard another story about it today. Sounds like a very, very bad way to die.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #55
Zuljin
TR Fitness King
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Defiance
Liked 5521 Times on 4672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin18 View Post
I believe it was called stepping down the grain. Essentially walking ontop the grain to pack it down. Of course, there is the very real risk of the grain collapsing into a void and smothering you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwolf View Post
As a firefighter trained in grain bin rescues, I will say ANY work inside a silo is truly dumb. There is very little reason to be inside a bin with grain in it, yet it happens on almost every farm. They are all classified as "Confined Spaces" by OSHA rules, and as such you are supposed to monitor air quality whenever someone is inside, have a tag/rescue line attached to each person, and for every man inside the bin, there needs to be one outside. Very rarely are those safety protocol followed though.
Limited entry and egress, not designed for continuous human habitation, probably no ventilation, or at least inadequate for prolonged stays, and for sure an engulfment hazard. Yep. Confined space.

Trains. They go on tracks. People. They do not. We get a few car vs train around here. People try to beat it. People lose.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:40 AM   #56
mpride1911

Recipes 

Sep 2012
Deferiet, NY
Liked 134 Times on 93 Posts

While working at the quarry I mentioned earlier, I received safety training quarterly which usually was just a bunch of horror stories. One such, was two men, one young, one experienced working in a silo of a powdery substance, I forgot what kind. The powder substance had a crust on the top of it and the younger guy broke through the crust and fell in, the older guy fell in right behind and stopped chest deep but standing on the younger guy's shoulders, who was of course suffocating.

Not sure if it was true or not, but it's one of those situations which you don't want to find out for yourself.

Secondary: 1.
Kegged: 1. Yooper's Oatmeal Stout; 2. Baltic Porter; 3. Snow ESB 4. Steam Beer; 5. Pilsner 6. EMPTY

[B]Bottled: 1. 1.125 OG experiment

Old 03-29-2013, 04:44 AM   #57
dkwolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Sac City, IA
Liked 374 Times on 222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpride1911 View Post
While working at the quarry I mentioned earlier, I received safety training quarterly which usually was just a bunch of horror stories. One such, was two men, one young, one experienced working in a silo of a powdery substance, I forgot what kind. The powder substance had a crust on the top of it and the younger guy broke through the crust and fell in, the older guy fell in right behind and stopped chest deep but standing on the younger guy's shoulders, who was of course suffocating.

Not sure if it was true or not, but it's one of those situations which you don't want to find out for yourself.
Sounds a lot like fire service training. Most all NFPA regulations are "blood laws" -- they were written as the result of someone dying.

The story that came up during my grain bin rescue class happened in eastern Iowa just a couple years ago. Backstory: When grain spoils, it has a tendency to 'stick' together, either in clumps stuck to the side of the bin, or "bridges", which are exactly what they sound like (and exactly what happened in the quoted story above - the material crusted over and bridged).

A government grain inspector showed up at a bin site to inspect the corn in storage. He didn't bother to check in at the office before he went to check the bins. Climbed to the top, opened the upper access hatch and walked around on the surface of the grain. Did his inspection, and then reported to the office. Told the manager, "You need to get that corn out of bin #7, it's starting to go out of condition."

Manager asked him, "You're sure it was bin #7?" Inspector replied that he was. Manager motioned for the inspector to follow him, and walked out to the bottom of of bin #7... and opened the door. Told the inspector "We emptied this bin last week."

The inspector had been walking on spoiled, bridged grain.... 80 feet above a concrete bin floor. One step in the wrong spot, or if he had tried to break through the crust to check grain below it, and it would have been the end of the line for him.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:56 AM   #58
mpride1911

Recipes 

Sep 2012
Deferiet, NY
Liked 134 Times on 93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwolf View Post
Sounds a lot like fire service training. Most all NFPA regulations are "blood laws" -- they were written as the result of someone dying.

The story that came up during my grain bin rescue class happened in eastern Iowa just a couple years ago. Backstory: When grain spoils, it has a tendency to 'stick' together, either in clumps stuck to the side of the bin, or "bridges", which are exactly what they sound like (and exactly what happened in the quoted story above - the material crusted over and bridged).

A government grain inspector showed up at a bin site to inspect the corn in storage. He didn't bother to check in at the office before he went to check the bins. Climbed to the top, opened the upper access hatch and walked around on the surface of the grain. Did his inspection, and then reported to the office. Told the manager, "You need to get that corn out of bin #7, it's starting to go out of condition."

Manager asked him, "You're sure it was bin #7?" Inspector replied that he was. Manager motioned for the inspector to follow him, and walked out to the bottom of of bin #7... and opened the door. Told the inspector "We emptied this bin last week."

The inspector had been walking on spoiled, bridged grain.... 80 feet above a concrete bin floor. One step in the wrong spot, or if he had tried to break through the crust to check grain below it, and it would have been the end of the line for him.
Jesus.

The more I'm reminded up this stuff, the more I feel better about avoiding IEDs and getting shot at. Not sure why I'm more comfortable with that, than industrial/mining threats. Maybe because I get to shoot back, which you really can't do to a rock crusher or conveyor belt.

Secondary: 1.
Kegged: 1. Yooper's Oatmeal Stout; 2. Baltic Porter; 3. Snow ESB 4. Steam Beer; 5. Pilsner 6. EMPTY

[B]Bottled: 1. 1.125 OG experiment

Old 03-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #59
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author & air gun shooter

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3706 Times on 3178 Posts

Or automation machinery. It's hydraulicly driven & without mercy. When I was young in the machining area,a guy got his loose collar on his coveralls caught in an ejector slide. tore his head off. Stay the F outta the equipment till it's shut off & locked out. And locked out by every man working on it. That's OSHA rules,but you'd be surprised how much "I can do this real quick" stuff I've seen.
One time when I first started at Ford,a main bearing cap got caught in the barrel sized milling cutter at the end of the machine that seperates the caps.
I signaled the operator to shut'er down,but didn't wait for the cutter to stop spinning. Didn't use my pry bar either,& was wearing those big terry cloth gloves. It got caught in the milling cutters,my left hand was going in...couldn't pull loose. Then I thought to hold my fingers straight out,& the glove slipped off & was shredded like a piece of meat in a gator's mouth.
Never again did I do something so stupid. Gotta be thinkin all the time,or you get hurt,real quick.
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

Old 04-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #60
jay_mack1

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I work in EMS... I haven't seen it all. But I have seen enough.

Out here in the Midwest.. open country.. we have people that try to beat the train at country road crossings.
Well ya know what they say, "If the East bound doesn't get ya, the West bound will!"

I've seen it a number of times, miraculously... most have survived.

Anyhow.. ya all have a good day!
Primary #1: Empty - to be started soon!
Primary #2: Empty - To be started soon!

Secondary: Wild Ape Grape
Secondary: Strawberry Wine
Secondary: Strawberry Chocolate Port Style
Secondary: Pear Wine

Bottled: Dry Irish Stout

Planning: Rye Beer!!
Getting Ready to Jump into All-Grain Brewing
Snoop Dogge Jay Dogge Brewery
Drink Up Ya Bastards!