Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Distilled Verses Tap Water

Old 03-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
pearseam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Distilled Verses Tap Water

I'm debating witch water to use for a Stout that I will be brewing this weekend. Anyone have any suggestions for witch one will provide a better taste.
Deep Winter Stout, from "The Brew-master Bible"
Thanks

Old 03-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
atom
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 34

If your tap water tastes fine, use that.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
RDbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I wouldn't go all distilled water, my understanding is that you would be starting with a literal blank slate as far as water chemistry goes.

Which is good if you want to build a water profile from scratch... not so great as a "ready to use" water source.

Push come to shove you can use partial distilled partial tap to bring the profile down if you need.

Coming Soon: Kentucky Rye

Old 03-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5926 Times on 4226 Posts
Likes Given: 1514

Since I don't know the make up of your tap water, I can't say which would be preferable.

My tap water, high in bicarbonate, makes an awesome stout. My tap water doesn't make very good kolsch, though. So I use tap water for my stout, and RO water for my kolsch.

It really depends on your own water chemistry.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 03-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2901 Times on 2510 Posts
Likes Given: 2049

After using tap,distilled & spring water,I settled on local spring water from the source for 10c per gallon. The yeasties seem to love it,& even the malt flavors seem to pop a bit more.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
aubiecat
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I use half and half. Just enough distilled to neutralize any bad effect the tap water might have and just enough tap water for essential minerals.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
Entrepreneur640
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubiecat
I use half and half. Just enough distilled to neutralize any bad effect the tap water might have and just enough tap water for essential minerals.
I second that

Old 03-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
kapbrew13
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

Use campden to remove chloramines if tap and your not sure about your water profile. Helps me a lot.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
jakegreen58
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

In my opinion it is best to start with distilled water an build your water profile up. Tap water contains chlorine that can produce some off flavors and negative chemical reactions that you don't want. Add gypsum, MgSO4, Calcium Chloride, baking soda and chalk to adjust you water to fit the beer profile. Calcium is the most important ion to worry about as it is very important to both mash chemical processes and yeast biology. You should have at least 100 ppm of calcium in your water. There is a lot of info on water chemistry and brewing on the web, but if your not up for some homework and number crunching, just use tap water with camden tablets or a carbon filter to remove chlorine. Here are a couple of good starting points for adjusting water profiles.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15-4.html

http://www.themadfermentationist.com...-has-made.html

Old 03-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #10
The_Dog_42
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It depends on your process.

AG can't use straight distilled because essential mineraks for the yeast won't be there.

Partial mash and extract can use staight distilled because the extract has (at least most of) the nutrients the yeast need.

I was using Ozarka spring water, which had an off flavor consistently on my beer. A friend brewed with me and accidentally bought distilled and it worked great for the partial mash.

My 10 yr old chocolate lab Guinness :D thinks her name is goddammit dog or fu@%in' puppy...I think if she were registerable :drunk: her full name would Goddammit Guinness Stop It...Go Away!!! And we Love her dearly :)
My Keg-O-Vision (Kegerator) Build

My Butcherblock-esque Fermentation Chamber