Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Michigan HomeBrew Forum > Y'all have let me down!

Old 04-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #21
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3480 Times on 2377 Posts
Likes Given: 2269

I guess the unseasonably cool spring threw me off a bit.

Unless something magical happens, I will not be able to get any KBS this year. I never manage to find it in any stores. Haven't since Founders started expanding a few years ago. If I'm lucky someone will share some with me at a brew day. I'm fairly certain that a few of the guys who work at the bottle shop in the town nearby will have already raided their allotment of KBS.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #22
mors
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I usually don't have a problem getting KBS. Usually score 1-2 4 packs each year....though this year my girlfriend and I got a case directly from Founders...

I also drank 40oz of KBS on Sat...Sunday was a bit rough...

Old 04-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #23
HopRodGR
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Am I the only one who used Oberon Day as an opportunity to culture some of their house yeast? Threw the dregs from a 17 day old six pack into a 750ml starter, then stepped up to 2L, now I have enough (based on the thick slurry I have) to pitch into my next 5 gallon batch. I brewed three beers with it last year and liked the results from each. It seems to be like what everyone has said, like Cal Ale, but a little fruitier if fermented warmer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Y'all have let me down even more! LOL!

I happen to like most wheat beers, and have yet to find Oberon "overrated". Now I'm a day behind! Not sure how I will make it up. I *could* drink 2 tonight (if I can even find any now!), but I still missed out on enjoying it yesterday! Can't go back in time.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:42 AM   #24
iaefebs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 605

I think they use the same yeast for all their brews. I remember Larry recommending that you snatch the yeast from the pale ale, since it's lower ABV. They do ferment at different temperatures to change the flavor profile.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:45 AM   #25
GrogNerd
mean old man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1302 Times on 852 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaefebs View Post
I think they use the same yeast for all their brews. I remember Larry recommending that you snatch the yeast from the pale ale, since it's lower ABV. They do ferment at different temperatures to change the flavor profile.
yeast wranglin'

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8382.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	114528

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2
iaefebs Likes This 
Old 04-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #26
HopRodGR
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I believe (and could be wrong on this) that Winter White and their lagers are the only beers that don't use the house strain. I had heard the same thing about using a low ABV beer to get the yeast, and successfully cultured from Pale Ale last year. After talking to one of the Bell's brewers though, he suggested that anything in their lineup under 6% ABV should work just fine, and to look for the freshest bottles I could, as he thought that would help viability more than the ABV. Oberon day is the perfect time for that, since you know what you are getting was just bottled. Based on how quickly I was able to build up from the 6 pack, I think it was really good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaefebs View Post

Old 04-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #27
mors
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Yeah their lagers and other specialty beers (such as belgians) are the only ones not using the house strain... honestly if you just drink the beer it's easy to tell as all their beers made with the house strain have a distinct flavor from the yeast. When harvesting the yeast you want the yeast stressed yeast you can get. So low abv, low hops, and fresh are what you're looking for. I always harvest some from oberon when it first comes out. I typically use it for about 3 batches (harvesting from the conical or yeast washing)

Old 04-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #28
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathPowe
Not to jump on the hatin' bandwagon, but this really is funny...

http://www.theblacksheeponline.com/article/noberon-day

Drink what you dig.
He obviously prefers stouts to wheat.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #29
GMJager
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

just picked up my 6-pack of Oberon! not always able to find it in Central Ohio (at least... before I knew where to look... thanks to getting into brewing)

Old 04-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #30
el_pollo_diablo
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Default Kbs

Just read thru this post and KBS was mentioned. Just thought I would share that those sneaky bastards held onto a few cases and are selling it in the company store TODAY.
</PSA>