Solid strut single tier build - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Solid strut single tier build

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2013, 04:33 AM   #21
lpdjshaw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
North County, San Diego
Posts: 400
Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts


The burners/windscreens/grates are Camp Chef. They are stock units, I just cut the legs off.
__________________
TIKI Brew

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #22
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
daksin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,619
Liked 355 Times on 309 Posts


Do you know if the solid strut comes in stainless? I know some people are concerned about the galvanized coating burning off (toxic) and losing its anti-corrosion properties. Looks super sturdy, though. Great build!
__________________
I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #23
bd2xu
 
bd2xu's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Atlanta, GA
Posts: 943
Liked 48 Times on 43 Posts


You could also high temp paint it right?
__________________
On Deck: ?
Primary:
Secondary: Cucumber Kolsch
On tap: Czech Pils, Munich Dunkel, Petite Saison D'Ete
Bottled: Wee Heavy, RIS - Bourbon/Oak aged, RIS - Port Wine/Oak aged

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #24
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
daksin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,619
Liked 355 Times on 309 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2xu View Post
You could also high temp paint it right?
There's no high temp paint that won't burn off under direct flame, and then you're back down to bare metal.
__________________
I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #25
TerraNova
 
TerraNova's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Oakland, CA
Posts: 78
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
Do you know if the solid strut comes in stainless? I know some people are concerned about the galvanized coating burning off (toxic) and losing its anti-corrosion properties. Looks super sturdy, though. Great build!
Yes, I have mine cut and am waiting on more funds to complete my rig.

Also, even if you paint over galvanized the zinc will cook and melt under the paint making both come off with various drawbacks.

Still, like the OP said, he is basically planning this on being a stand that he will use until gets a welded stainless stand. Planned replacement...gets him brewing NOW.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #26
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
daksin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,619
Liked 355 Times on 309 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraNova View Post
Yes, I have mine cut and am waiting on more funds to complete my rig.

Also, even if you paint over galvanized the zinc will cook and melt under the paint making both come off with various drawbacks.

Still, like the OP said, he is basically planning this on being a stand that he will use until gets a welded stainless stand. Planned replacement...gets him brewing NOW.
Where'd you get your stainless solid strut? I can only find the slotted stainless and solid galvanized on the website. I'm assuming they sell all stainless fittings and stuff too.
__________________
I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #27
TerraNova
 
TerraNova's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Oakland, CA
Posts: 78
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
Where'd you get your stainless solid strut? I can only find the slotted stainless and solid galvanized on the website. I'm assuming they sell all stainless fittings and stuff too.
I ended up getting mine from a mom and pop electrical supply shop sort of close to me. I say sort of because a bad traffic jam cost me in gas all i saved by finding it locally and going to pick it up.

The shop was so small that they gave me a deal just to get rid of all of their last remaining product; 5 10' sticks. This is turning out to be more than I needed for this project but I will find something to use the extra strut for.

I have seen good prices on the internet at places like here.

Stainless Steel Strut

This is more than I paid but it is still reasonable. You can probably find SS tubing for cheaper but you would need to learn to weld or hire a welder so this is a good, cost effective solution for non-welders. Looking at the maximum weight charts this can EASILY handle the loaded of a 3 vessel 15 gallon set up as long as you design it intelligently. Longer single tier set ups may require a support column like the Brutus 10 plans have in it (although this material would bear that weight at that size of a rig without the support column).

Good luck with your rig.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #28
bigtex52
 
bigtex52's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Dallas, Texas
Posts: 58
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Subbed

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #29
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
daksin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,619
Liked 355 Times on 309 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraNova View Post
I ended up getting mine from a mom and pop electrical supply shop sort of close to me. I say sort of because a bad traffic jam cost me in gas all i saved by finding it locally and going to pick it up.

The shop was so small that they gave me a deal just to get rid of all of their last remaining product; 5 10' sticks. This is turning out to be more than I needed for this project but I will find something to use the extra strut for.

I have seen good prices on the internet at places like here.

Stainless Steel Strut

This is more than I paid but it is still reasonable. You can probably find SS tubing for cheaper but you would need to learn to weld or hire a welder so this is a good, cost effective solution for non-welders. Looking at the maximum weight charts this can EASILY handle the loaded of a 3 vessel 15 gallon set up as long as you design it intelligently. Longer single tier set ups may require a support column like the Brutus 10 plans have in it (although this material would bear that weight at that size of a rig without the support column).

Good luck with your rig.
Many thanks, I actually ended up finding it on Grainger but the pricing was ridiculous ($32/ft). Also have a quote request into a local metal supplier for 2" 11ga stainless tube stock, cut. The Platt pricing looks great- shipping could be a killer though.

I'm building a much larger system though, 3bbl, so I'll need more strut and will definitely need to check to see if it will bear the weight I need.
__________________
I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #30
TerraNova
 
TerraNova's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Oakland, CA
Posts: 78
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts


The strut will support a 3bbl system if you build in support columns to help with the load. It really is every bit as strong as 11 ga tubing.

Platt has locations for pick up, but nothing in SoCal.

Locations

I want to like Grainger...but they ALWAYS kill me on the price.

Good luck with your Nano brewery. Post something when you have it.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My single tier build n2fooz Brew Stands 135 12-10-2015 09:06 PM
Single Tier vs. Two Tier Build swatman260 Brew Stands 24 06-16-2011 12:02 AM
New Guy and my new Single Tier Build! MotleyBrue Brew Stands 68 03-21-2011 04:52 AM
My Single Tier Build w/ BCS-460 alowell Brew Stands 11 01-04-2011 05:04 PM


Forum Jump