Hard root beer idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winenewb172

Reaction score
So I'm a root beer lover and I really want to make a hard root beer. So my idea was to make an alcoholic beverage by fermenting sugar water with yeast nutrient and red star champagne yeast. That's going good fermenting like crazy. Now once that's fermented out I was thinking of adding an overly sugary root beer syrup and bottling then cold crashing once it's carbed up. Is this a good idea or should I stabilize with campden and k-meta then add root beer syrup and force carb somehow?

No thoughts anyone? Guess I'll just try and see what happens and report back

winenewb172 said:
No thoughts anyone? Guess I'll just try and see what happens and report back

I live in the Milwaukee area and Sprecher is on their second delivery of hard root beer (local test market, appears that response has been very positive so it may be heading out further if it hasn't already.

Regardless, sounds like they just laid some root beer in a BBL for a month or so and bottled it. I know you can find their syrup at some HB supply shops and/or online, may be a simple little project for you!

Sprecher syrup available online has preservatives, which is why it is advertised as force carb only, so bottle conditioning with it may not work out so well for you.

Back