Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Your worst beer comp score

Old 03-26-2013, 01:22 AM   #1
HumboldtBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Your worst beer comp score

We all love to brag about our good scores, but lets hear some bad ones and the comments that went along with them. Sorry for the negativity, but I am sure this bottle I just opened is infected, soooooooooooo cheer me up!

Cheers

Old 03-26-2013, 01:27 AM   #2
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtBrewer View Post
We all love to brag about our good scores, but lets hear some bad ones and the comments that went along with them. Sorry for the negativity, but I am sure this bottle I just opened is infected, soooooooooooo cheer me up!

Cheers
29: off syle. No esters.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:29 AM   #3
reinstone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 128

29 on a beer that scored a 39.5 a week earlier in a much bigger comp. still waiting on score sheet.
Lagering:Kolsch, Dusseldorf alt
American Amber, Red ale
Double ipa, Rye ipa
Fermenting: German pils
Wheat 1,Wheat 2
All to be kegged and served by May 10

Reason: Spelling

Old 03-26-2013, 01:30 AM   #4
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 438 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I am pretty sure I win this thread.

I got an 11.5 combined score on my Robust Porter in a competition last year. I am thinking about framing those scoresheets because they are perfect examples of how not to judge a beer. There were maybe a total of 10 words on each scoresheet, and absolutely no useful feedback whatsoever. The really sad part is that the bottle must have been infected or otherwise contaminated (hard to tell from the useless feedback), and the correct action on the part of the judges would be to ask for another bottle from the steward.

The 11.5 is notable because there is an unwritten rule that you don't score a beer below 13.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:31 AM   #5
Azurecybe
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I saw a 12. It was a barleywine submitted in a Surly Furious clone competition. It was a good barleywine, just in the wrong comp.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:35 AM   #6
Dok
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

He last club competition people where laughing about a scoresheet where one of the entries had notes on it where the judge said it smelled like human feces. Well I got my score sheet back for my Schwarzbier and got a low score the judge tore it to shreds. It wasn't really that bad. Well I found out the infamous poo beer scored better than my Schwarzbeir.
People Like This 
Old 03-26-2013, 01:39 AM   #7
Realispatt
Recipes 

23, was also my first and only thus far. Comments were solvent off flavors from fermentation temp too high and body too thin.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:43 AM   #8
lester77
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dok View Post
He last club competition people where laughing about a scoresheet where one of the entries had notes on it where the judge said it smelled like human feces. Well I got my score sheet back for my Schwarzbier and got a low score the judge tore it to shreds. It wasn't really that bad. Well I found out the infamous poo beer scored better than my Schwarzbeir.
Cannot stop laughing... great story!
Just enterred my first competion... nervous to hear the results! Hopefully there are no fecal notes on my score sheets!

Old 03-26-2013, 01:54 AM   #9
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 602 Times on 428 Posts
Likes Given: 519

20.... Amber Ale. Judges said it was a great brown ale that they could drink all day, but out of category....... No idea what happened. It was definitely an amber and not a brown.... it was high on gravity, hops and it was 15ish on color.... but not a "brown." I am still wondering if I grabbed the wrong beer off my shelf and actually sent a brown...

Also got a 21 on a Belgian Golden this past weekend - that would be my second worst...... waiting to see why. I don't know much about belgians though and it was the first one I brewed. Thinking I was out of style or it was too young because the beer is decent tasting... have to wait and see I guess.
Primary: Dark Mild, Helles
Secondary/Lagering: Alt, Scottish 70, Dortmunder, Bo-Pils
Future Brews: Heady Topper Clone, Session IPA, Hop Fu, Porter, Plain ol American Ale More...... More....... Beer.......

Old 03-26-2013, 01:56 AM   #10
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
I am pretty sure I win this thread.

I got an 11.5 combined score on my Robust Porter in a competition last year. I am thinking about framing those scoresheets because they are perfect examples of how not to judge a beer. There were maybe a total of 10 words on each scoresheet, and absolutely no useful feedback whatsoever. The really sad part is that the bottle must have been infected or otherwise contaminated (hard to tell from the useless feedback), and the correct action on the part of the judges would be to ask for another bottle from the steward.

The 11.5 is notable because there is an unwritten rule that you don't score a beer below 13.
Also isn't another unwritten rull to provide 1 feedback comment on how to improve your brewing for every 10/5(?) points off 50.
I would woder if your beer had been mistreated or mixed up somehow.
Also any chance you can scan and post the scoresheets on here?