Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Structure and material list for one acre hoy yard?

Old 03-25-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
StG44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Structure and material list for one acre hoy yard?

Hi,

I've been considering building a one acre hop yard. I managed to locate plans with a material list online and would like feedback about it. Does it seem like a good way to construct a yard? Could I use malleable wire clips instead of forged to save money. Are their any other plans available online?

Thanks for any input.
http://www.uvm.edu/extension/cropsoi...ials-costs.pdf
http://www.uvm.edu/extension/cropsoi...-a-Hopyard.pdf

ETA: Message header should read "hops" not "hoys" and to add links. :-)

Reason: Improper spelling

Old 03-26-2013, 12:13 AM   #2
nagmay
Recipes 

Liked 189 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Link?

Old 03-26-2013, 02:01 AM   #3
PariahVineyard
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

If you are trying to save money I wouldn't get the turnbuckles. You can use a comealong and the wire gripper to tighten up the lines. The rope/wire clamps I just ordered were $18 for 100. 5/16" Cable seems excessive too. You can probably save money there as well. Ask Steve at Schmidt hops to do a work up for price for the supplies.

http://www.schmidthops.com/

Old 03-26-2013, 03:35 AM   #4
GVH_Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 213 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 25

There are various things you can do to save money, like finding free/cheap poles from utility companies or similar, but in the end the price of the rhizomes doesn't change and that's a big chunk. Everything else is based on your aversion to risk. Go with 1/4", 5/16", or less depending on how sure you are of the rest of the design. I like turnbuckles because we are constantly adjusting but you could do the same with a comealong and wire gripper. Likewise, we get rid of the cost of the W clip but replace it with a wire running a foot off the ground to tie the twine too.

In the end figure on $10k for set up (maybe a little less if you find deals) plus cost of well (if needed), tractor or pickup, another $1k for drying (2nd year) and anything you need for harvesting. On going, there is weeding, nutrients, pest management, etc. Figure 20 hours a week the first couple of years to get it established plus another 5 to 10 hours a week explaining the question, "What you got going on here?"

Old 03-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
PleasantValleyHops
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PariahVineyard
If you are trying to save money I wouldn't get the turnbuckles. You can use a comealong and the wire gripper to tighten up the lines. The rope/wire clamps I just ordered were $18 for 100. 5/16" Cable seems excessive too. You can probably save money there as well. Ask Steve at Schmidt hops to do a work up for price for the supplies.

http://www.schmidthops.com/
Second on steve. Great to work with, Helped design our yard and was an easy one stop shop!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1648965916.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	110908

Just a small shot but poles were from steve, and we used his design and all stranded cable.

Of course this was sunday. Snow started falling around 5 and ended up with 5-6" by monday morning

Old 03-27-2013, 01:55 AM   #6
StG44
Recipes 

Thanks for all of the replies. I will give Schmidt's a call and see what he suggests. Does anyone have plans or a material list with prices that they could share with me? Please feel free to PM or email me. I would be very interested in seeing how you built your yards and materials used.

Thank you very much!