HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - This is it - Final Weekend to Enter!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Final Weekend!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Chlorine - Is 'any' too much?

Old 03-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #21
gbx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedYellow View Post
Gbx - your post makes me want to avoid home brewing clubs absolutely. Seems like my favorite beers, commercially and home brewed, don't fit BJCP categories. I can't imagine for one second even considering style categories in my brewing. Thx for the warning!
There are members of the club who are super into competitive brewing but there are a ton of people who could care less. Like I also said, I love my homebrew club. There is always somebody there who has a similar philosophy when it comes to brewing. There are people who over science everything and people who just want to get drunk on cheap homemade beer.

..but despite their faults, the competitive types are the ones who get things done. If it wasn't for their drive to compete and organize things, there wouldn't be a homebrew community to the extent it is now. We'd all be too busy relaxing, not worrying and get pissed on ****ty homebrew.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #22
gbx
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjm View Post
The lesson here is that some beers shouldn't be wasted by giving them to judges!
and yes...i have never entered my best beer (a 3rd old baltic porter) because I hate the thought that it isn't going to be enjoyed. I only have 15 bottles left and the biggest fear I have is that it won't make the BOS round and the second bottle will be thrown out.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #23
Beergazzi
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Though it looks like we've meandered a BIT from my question...I think you convinced me to try campden for my next batch

Old 03-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #24
MNDan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

My beer improved remarkably when I started carbon-filtering my water. Just one data point, but there it is.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #25
Wynne-R
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Ive posted several times about this. Apparently no one knows.

Our local water supply contains 3ppm chloramine. Most brewers use a five micron carbon filter inline with a garden hose. Some dont even do that.

Ive used Campden before with no apparent effect.

My best guess is that while free chlorine is highly reactive, chloramine is pretty stable. Sometimes you get bit, but mostly you dont.

Purely based on my observation.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:15 AM   #26
Flee15
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Do most of you either filter or campden tap water or both?

Old 03-28-2013, 12:29 AM   #27
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts

Yeah so back to the question... I live in Atlanta and the LHBS tells me the water here is good for brewing. That said, if I have a glass of straight tap and a glass of filtered (just the cheap carbon filter in the fridge water dispenser, its a Pur), I can definitely tell the diff. I don't mind the tap but my wife and daughter hate it, they won't drink it.

Doesn't boiling for an hour remove it? Or a lot of it? Talking about the wort boil.

I've been using a campden tab in my strike water for a 5 gal AG batch but then forget to add more when I add more water to the HLT for sparge so I guess I'm not removing it all.

Plan on getting a carbon filter to run my water hose through and mount on my rig.
On tap: American Amber, Kate's Dregs, Munich Dunkel
Bottled:Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 03-28-2013, 12:31 AM   #28
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2xu
Yeah so back to the question... I live in Atlanta and the LHBS tells me the water here is good for brewing. That said, if I have a glass of straight tap and a glass of filtered (just the cheap carbon filter in the fridge water dispenser, its a Pur), I can definitely tell the diff. I don't mind the tap but my wife and daughter hate it, they won't drink it.

Doesn't boiling for an hour remove it? Or a lot of it? Talking about the wort boil.

I've been using a campden tab in my strike water for a 5 gal AG batch but then forget to add more when I add more water to the HLT for sparge so I guess I'm not removing it all.

Plan on getting a carbon filter to run my water hose through and mount on my rig.
Also meant to say I want a filter because really trying not to add anything unnatural to my beer. Not worried about organic but want it only pure natural ingredients. Is whirfloc natural? I know it's from Irish moss which I natural but do they add anything?
On tap: American Amber, Kate's Dregs, Munich Dunkel
Bottled:Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 03-28-2013, 01:32 AM   #29
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2xu View Post
Also meant to say I want a filter because really trying not to add anything unnatural to my beer. Not worried about organic but want it only pure natural ingredients. Is whirfloc natural? I know it's from Irish moss which I natural but do they add anything?
I think they add sodium bicarb to it for 'dispersal'. You can look it up pretty easily.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #30
CDGoin
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 134

I have a few questions..

1) How much Campden is correct in a 5 Gal batch (seems from the Water Chem thread it would only be 1/4 to 1/2 a tab)

2) Will too much Campden cause problems

3) Could a slow kick off to fermentation be a byproduct of Camden in a Lager..?

I just had a lager take forever to start and its still slow.. the ONLY thing I did different this time is add 5 tabs of Campden (Obviously too much) to my water (in the end I think I fished out 2 or so because instinctively it seemed like too much to me).