Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Problem with first Keg

Old 03-25-2013, 01:51 AM   #1
Manthony
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Problem with first Keg

Alright guys, new to kegging here. I've had this beer kegged for 2 weeks now at 11-12psi and when I went to serve it, http://youtu.be/wtyZIv8bv7I is what I got.... I need help with this one.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:54 AM   #2
jbeason
Recipes 

Did it freeze?

Old 03-25-2013, 02:02 AM   #3
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1688 Times on 1352 Posts

Gotta be pulling from the head space. Either the dip tubes were swapped so the short one is on the Out post, or the QDs were put on the wrong lines...

Cheers!

Old 03-25-2013, 02:06 AM   #4
SleepyCreekBrews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
Gotta be pulling from the head space. Either the dip tubes were swapped so the short one is on the Out post, or the QDs were put on the wrong lines...

Cheers!
X2
Any updates?

Old 03-25-2013, 02:08 AM   #5
sikkingj
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manthony
Alright guys, new to kegging here. I've had this beer kegged for 2 weeks now at 11-12psi and when I went to serve it, Video Link: http://youtu.be/wtyZIv8bv7I is what I got.... I need help with this one.
I had a similar problem I solved today. I needed to reseat the beer out post in the keg. Pretty easy to do. Get your wrench and take out the beer out pst, lift out the tube (about halfway) and reseat and replace post. This clear up my issue tonight.

Good luck.

-John

Old 03-25-2013, 02:16 AM   #6
emptykeg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post

Cheers!
I have done both of those! Fortunately I noticed immediately. I was carbonating my first keg and wondered why it was glurgling. Oops! Although that gave me an idea. When you're trying to speed up carbonating you shake the keg to get the gas more surface area to work on. Why not bubble the gas up thru the out tube? Not sure it makes much difference but it would expose more beer to gas than filling from the gas tube.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:17 AM   #7
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Beer smoothies! oh Yeah!

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 03-25-2013, 02:19 AM   #8
Manthony
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok, problem solved. Just bought the two Kegs from the LHBS reconditioned. And sure enough.... the dip tube is on the wrong side on BOTH of the kegs.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:22 AM   #9
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptykeg View Post
I have done both of those! Fortunately I noticed immediately. I was carbonating my first keg and wondered why it was glurgling. Oops! Although that gave me an idea. When you're trying to speed up carbonating you shake the keg to get the gas more surface area to work on. Why not bubble the gas up thru the out tube? Not sure it makes much difference but it would expose more beer to gas than filling from the gas tube.
You can do this, but, BUT,BBBBUUUTTT, make sure you switch the tubes or the posts, not the connectors. The black and gray connectors are slightly different in size! It's easy to force one on, and almost impossible to remove if you mix them up. If you want to push co2 down the beer tube, switch tubes or switch posts. Do not just simply put the gas connector on the line out post.

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 03-26-2013, 05:35 AM   #10
mamies
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Looks like someone has drank all of your beer