Metheglin - Jasmine Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How should I infuse Jasmine aroma into the must? Please post the amount to use.

• 1) Steep The Jasmine Tea in the partial boil water (40 seconds - post-boil, before honey).

• 2) Steep The Jasmine Tea in the partial boil must right after flame-out (40 seconds Max).

• 3) No Steep, just age with Jasmine tea in the secondary.

• 4) Another way - Will post an explanation.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been planning to make Jasmine Mead. I need some advice on the amount of Jasmine Tea to use and how to infuse it into the must.

Here is my recipe for 5 gallons

- 12 Lbs of Clover Honey
- 2.5 tsp of yeast energizer
- XX oz. of Jasmine Tea
- Lavlin Yeast D47
I have some Chinese Jasmine Tea that calls for 3-6 grams per cup of tea with 40 second steep time. I made a cup of tea with 6 grams, steeped for 40 seconds and it was not harsh at all. It was very aromatic

FYI - 240 grams is needed to make 5 gallons of tea using 3 grams per cup. I only have about 160 grams of tea left (5.7oz).

I am going to post a poll since I would like advice on which route to go. Vote then post your suggested oz or gram usage quantity. - Thanks

1) Steep The Jasmine Tea in the partial boil water (40 seconds - after coming to a boil) before adding honey.
2) Steep The Jasmine Tea in the partial boil must right after flame-out (40 seconds Max).
3) No Steep, just age with Jasmine tea in the secondary.
4) Another way - Will post an explanation.

If you're adding it in the boil, I would say to steep before adding the honey.

With the amount of tea you have, you will get a purer tea flavour from dry hopping in the secondary--and might be able to leave it in longer.

Can you get more of the tea? If so, you might consider using what you have in the boil for primary, then adjusting the flavour with dry hopping in secondary.

What are you considering a cup for your math?

I would definitely make the tea, remove the leaves, then ferment. I find the taste of over steeped green tea unappetizing, and both times I've left tea in for more than a day it has had a solid tannic bite that I wasn't fond of

If you're adding it in the boil, I would say to steep before adding the honey.

With the amount of tea you have, you will get a purer tea flavour from dry hopping in the secondary--and might be able to leave it in longer.

Can you get more of the tea? If so, you might consider using what you have in the boil for primary, then adjusting the flavour with dry hopping in secondary.

What are you considering a cup for your math?

I got the tea while I was in China. I'm sure I could get more but not the same brand. I would have buy some jasmine locally.

A 6oz cup.

I would definitely make the tea, remove the leaves, then ferment. I find the taste of over steeped green tea unappetizing, and both times I've left tea in for more than a day it has had a solid tannic bite that I wasn't fond of

Yeah, I once made a strong batch of ice tea with this stuff and it was undrinkable.

If I made the tea according to the directions, it's fine and easy drinking without the tannic bite. I steeped way, way too long in the first go round.

This is exactly why I'm asking for advice. I wasn't sure if tea behaves like hops in mead making verses beer.

I have spent about $35 on honey, I don't relish ruining it with using the tea in the wrong way.

Wish it wouldnt impart to much flavour over time but....how amazing would a light mead look with a blooming tea in it.

Wish it wouldnt impart to much flavour over time but....how amazing would a light mead look with a blooming tea in it.

It would look awesome. You can essentially bleach out the flavor by just repeatedly steeping, rinsing, and after third hot steep switch to ice cold. I use them all the time in flower vases, glasses of tea, lemonade, etc. Whole dried hibiscus blooms preserved in syrup went in last batch of hibiscus mead which I gifted, and like an idiot I lost the photo I took--and everyone drank them all up.

Well, I did the steep after the first boil. Then added honey, gypsum, yeast nutrients, acid blend and corn sugar. Then boiled again to skim the scum off the must.

Now to wait. The jasmine smell is pretty good.

Back