Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Aromatic Additions

Old 03-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
rodwha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 197

Default Aromatic Additions

Do the aromatic additions "taste" deplete over time as it does with dry hopping? And is there a difference in it's staying power from a 5 min addition to a 0 min addition? Or does it all deplete over time anyway? At different rates?

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 03-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
rodwha
Recipes 

Anyone?

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 03-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 900 Times on 760 Posts
Likes Given: 218

Five minute addition compared to 0 minute addition; five minutes adds some bittering along with the aroma. Aroma additions at 0 minutes are comparatively fleeting. Compare it to chopped parsely. The parsely left on the cutting board for half a day will have less aroma than when freshly chopped. Luckily in a capped bottle or in a keg aroma additions last much longer. How much longer depends upon the brew they are in. The aroma additions in a highly hopped brew will seem to be depleted sooner than in a brew that is less hop forward bittered.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
rodwha
Recipes 

So the aroma dissipates even from a 5 min addition?
Is there really any difference between a 0 min addition and dry hopping?

Old 03-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
Brulosopher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 293 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwha
So the aroma dissipates even from a 5 min addition?
Is there really any difference between a 0 min addition and dry hopping?
You'll isomerize some alpha acids with a 0 minute addition due to the heat of the wort; dry hopping is simply an oil extraction process. Many folks are having great success replacing dry hopping with the hop stand technique whereby hops are added to the post-boil wort at 180F and allowed to stand there for 20-60 minutes. I'm definitely a fan of this method.

Latest Article from Brulosophy: Sloppy Old Slurry Starter vs. Fresh Yeast | exBEERiment Results!

List of exBEERiments

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Marshall "Brulosopher" Schott

Old 03-31-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
rodwha
Recipes 

So isomerized alpha acids will be locked into the beer?
I ask because I've been intending on stashing a 6 pack of each beer for some time (>year), but it wouldn't be worthwhile if I lose some of what my beer was intended to be, such as with an IPA.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 495 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 67

IPA's are best young if all your looking for are the hop notes they will fade in time bringing other flavors to the fore front.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:47 PM   #8
rodwha
Recipes 

"...whereby hops are added to the post-boil wort at 180F and allowed to stand there for 20-60 minutes."

I thought the wort needed to be cooled down quickly? I add my extract or honey after flame out, and so I've not done any 0 min additions, and have changed them to 5 min additions because I've wanted to chill my wort down as quickly as possible.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:49 AM   #9
Brulosopher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 293 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwha
"...whereby hops are added to the post-boil wort at 180F and allowed to stand there for 20-60 minutes."

I thought the wort needed to be cooled down quickly? I add my extract or honey after flame out, and so I've not done any 0 min additions, and have changed them to 5 min additions because I've wanted to chill my wort down as quickly as possible.
This is one of those conflicts many are expressing with hop stands... only time will tell

Latest Article from Brulosophy: Sloppy Old Slurry Starter vs. Fresh Yeast | exBEERiment Results!

List of exBEERiments

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Marshall "Brulosopher" Schott