Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Homebrewing myths that need to die

Old 04-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #321
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 251

As a die hard Cubs fan, I can honestly state that while Cubs fandom should give you a karmic edge in brewing success (Lord knows, we suffer enough otherwise, so we deserve some thing to go our way), I have never heard the Cubs/Red Sox thing.

I don't think this qualifies as a myth that needs killing.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #322
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 1248

Homebrewing myths:

1. Kegging is superior to bottling and/or kegging makes better beer

2. bottling beer is overly time consuming (you are doing it wrong)

3. If your yeast pitching rate isn't perfect you can forget about making good beer! You need to get a digital microscope and start yeast counting!

4. Don't use dish soap to clean your brewing equipment or you'll get off flavors! (Never once has dishsoap given me an off flavor in almost 2 years of brewing...it's called RINSING WELL. If dishsoap contributed off flavors your food would all taste off now wouldn't it?).

Keg #1: White Mosaic Pale Ale
Keg #2: Empty
Drinking: Amber Ale, White Mosaic Pale Ale
People Like This 
Old 04-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #323
GrogNerd
mean old man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1283 Times on 842 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
In order for a homebrewer to become a successful professional brewer the homebrewer must be a fan of either the Boston Red Sox or the Chicago Cubs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
Is that a thing?
if it were true, I would eat a bullet

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 04-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #324
QuercusMax
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
Homebrewing myths:

1. Kegging is superior to bottling and/or kegging makes better beer

2. bottling beer is overly time consuming (you are doing it wrong)
Amen to both of these. The most annoying thing about bottling is cleaning and removing labels. Cleaning is way easier with a jet bottle rinser. Even horrible moldy ones come clean easily - I cleaned 4 cases of nasty bottles in an afternoon when I got my washer.

Removing labels is optional, but I find soaking them in a bucket of hot water for an hour makes them come off easily.

Other than that the only annoying thing to me about bottling is waiting thru two dishwasher cycles before starting. First one to do all the dishes that were left in the sink, and then one to sanitize the bottles. I either will convince SWMBO to do dishes while I'm at work, or I'll buy a Vinator... Not sure which is cheaper.

Once the bottles are clean, just have to boil priming sugar, dump into bottling bucket, rack to bucket, then fill, cap, and write label in sharpie on cap. I can be done in 45 minutes. Kegging sounds like a hassle and a half.

Best thing about bottling is taking it with you, and having lots of variety! I'm on
Vacation in vermont this week, and brought 2 cases comprising 10 different kinds! Do that with a keg!
isleofman Likes This 
Old 04-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #325
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuercusMax View Post
Other than that the only annoying thing to me about bottling is waiting thru two dishwasher cycles before starting. First one to do all the dishes that were left in the sink, and then one to sanitize the bottles. I either will convince SWMBO to do dishes while I'm at work, or I'll buy a Vinator... Not sure which is cheaper.
Vinator by far. Fifteen bucks well worth it. Combined with my bottle tree, the Vinator cuts a solid hour of labor off of bottling for me (I used to do the dishwasher thing, too). This does not count the time waiting for the bottles to cycle in the dishwasher.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #326
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1785 Times on 1418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
In order for a homebrewer to become a successful professional brewer the homebrewer must be a fan of either the Boston Red Sox or the Chicago Cubs.
^ Relevant Fact

BOOM!!! << sound of GrogNerd offing himself

Sorry...

Cheers!

Old 04-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #327
Jayhem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuercusMax View Post
Amen to both of these. The most annoying thing about bottling is cleaning and removing labels. Cleaning is way easier with a jet bottle rinser. Even horrible moldy ones come clean easily - I cleaned 4 cases of nasty bottles in an afternoon when I got my washer.

Removing labels is optional, but I find soaking them in a bucket of hot water for an hour makes them come off easily.

Once the bottles are clean, just have to boil priming sugar, dump into bottling bucket, rack to bucket, then fill, cap, and write label in sharpie on cap. I can be done in 45 minutes. Kegging sounds like a hassle and a half.

Best thing about bottling is taking it with you, and having lots of variety! I'm on
Vacation in vermont this week, and brought 2 cases comprising 10 different kinds! Do that with a keg!
My bottling method is so easy I have to share it with you because the dishwasher method is simply too much work.

1. always double/triple rinse your bottles after pouring a beer, let them drip dry on a rack or bottle tree, case them up for next time!

2. The day before you plan to bottle, soak all your bottles in a solution of warm water and Oxiclean! This is key to making bottle cleaning a snap!

3. On bottling day simply rinse your bottles, drain them on a tree or dish rack

4. Turn on your oven to 200F, put the rack as low as it goes. Stand the bottles vertical (my oven holds about 54 bottles!). Heat bottles for 20 minutes to sanitize

5. Turn off oven, leave door open, remove bottles as soon as they are cool enough to touch, being careful not to touch the rims.

6. I do 11 gallon batches so I use 2 bottling buckets at once! I fill 2 bottles at once, my wife or brewing helper caps! We can bottle 11 gallons in about 25 minutes once we start filling.

Bottling allows us to take our beer with us places easily, to give beer samples to friends/family and to age some beer longer than others.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #328
Effingbeer
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts

Sounds like the myth that you need to sterilize bottles with heat has reared its ugly head.
1. Clean the bottle mechanically and with PBW.
2. Soak for a few minutes in Starsan.
3. Drain. Preferably on a bottle tree.
4. Fill bottle with beer. It doesn't need to be completely dry

Old 04-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #329
Jayhem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effingbeer View Post
Sounds like the myth that you need to sterilize bottles with heat has reared its ugly head.
1. Clean the bottle mechanically and with PBW.
2. Soak for a few minutes in Starsan.
3. Drain. Preferably on a bottle tree.
4. Fill bottle with beer. It doesn't need to be completely dry
Simply a preferred method.

Sanitizing with heat results in a 100% dry bottle that is much easier to handle than a slippery sanitizer soaked bottle.

I've bottled probably 1,800 bottles in my short brewing career and never once have a dropped a bottle while bottling. Quite a feat considering I'm always handling bottles with one hand and usually enjoying 1 or 3 homebrews while bottling.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #330
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Duplicate post. Ignore!