Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty Beer > White House Honey Ale: 2nd Place, 2013 Chicago Cup

Old 05-18-2013, 05:06 AM   #31
kevokie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahray02 View Post
can anyone covert this to a partial mash recipe?
I'm not using a program or anything, but this is what I would do for a partial mash.

4.5 lbs light DME OR 5.6 lbs light LME
1 lbs pale malt
1 lbs Munich Malt
1 lb. Wheat Malt
0.75 lb. Caramel Malt 20L
1 lb. Honey

Mash grains at 151F for 60 minutes

Everything else remains the same.
genel41 Likes This 
Old 05-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #32
Rustyduck
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Love honey beers and have made the original several times. IMO, the addition of 1/3 Honey malt really imarts a true honey flavor as the actual honey ferments out completely dry.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:47 AM   #33
raidershero
Recipes 

Well after much deliberation I decided I under-carbed this one pretty good. Couple that with my OG of 1.065 and I got a very boozy ale. I really think my perle and London ale yeast substitutions have given this beer a truly peculiar character. I think I used just shy of 5 oz of corn sugar for a 5 gallon batch. According to the carbonation chart I followed that amount should be appropriate for the style. Any idea why my carb levels came out so low? It was low enough that even my wife noticed. :-P

Old 05-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #34
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1220 Times on 836 Posts
Likes Given: 2370

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidershero View Post
I think I used just shy of 5 oz of corn sugar for a 5 gallon batch. According to the carbonation chart I followed that amount should be appropriate for the style. Any idea why my carb levels came out so low? It was low enough that even my wife noticed. :-P
5 ounces is fine for bottle carbonating. How long has it been, at least two or three weeks? Also when you wrote "I think I used . . ." is it possible that you're not sure how much you used?

Old 05-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #35
raidershero
Recipes 

No I definitely used just under 5oz. I did sound uncertain in that post, sorry. I remember weighing out to about 4.75oz of dextrose. I fermented for 2 weeks in primary (i don't usually use a secondary) and bottle conditioned for 3 at around 70 degrees. Then they went to the fridge to sit about 2 more weeks at about 33/34 degrees.

I sampled all throughout the process and found it to taste very boozy. I figured it would settle down after a few weeks. I'll have to give it some more time to see, but they're almost all gone. The family loved it, despite my criticism.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #36
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1220 Times on 836 Posts
Likes Given: 2370

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidershero View Post
No I definitely used just under 5oz. I did sound uncertain in that post, sorry. I remember weighing out to about 4.75oz of dextrose. I fermented for 2 weeks in primary (i don't usually use a secondary) and bottle conditioned for 3 at around 70 degrees. Then they went to the fridge to sit about 2 more weeks at about 33/34 degrees.

I sampled all throughout the process and found it to taste very boozy. I figured it would settle down after a few weeks. I'll have to give it some more time to see, but they're almost all gone. The family loved it, despite my criticism.
One thought about carbonation is to check a bottle for carbonation before moving all of them to the fridge. Have you had issues with carbonation in previous batches? If not, I think you may have just chilled them too early, although three weeks is often/usually plenty to carbonate.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #37
raidershero
Recipes 

Yeah I was checking them periodically like I said. The carbonation felt a little weird but like you stated, 3 weeks should have been plenty.

One thing to consider though... my pint bottles seemed slightly more carbonated than my bombers. Coincidence?

Old 06-10-2013, 06:54 AM   #38
JDFlow
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

FYI

ALL-GRAIN TO EXTRACT
Amount of pale malt x .8125 = amount of liquid malt extract
(example: 8 lbs. pale malt x .8125 = 6.5 lbs. liquid malt extract)

Amount of pale malt x .6875 - amount of dry malt extract (DME)
(example: 8 lbs. pale malt x .6875 = 5.5 lbs. dry malt extract)

Amount of wheat malt x .937 = amount of liquid wheat malt extract
(example: 6.5 lbs. wheat malt x .937 = 6.1 lbs. liquid malt extract)
genel41 Likes This 
Old 06-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #39
Kuhndog
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Isn't the President from Chicago? I detect an advantage in the competition just with the name.

Just kidding. It does look like a pretty good recipe and I'm sure I'll try it as I'm a fan of english style anything. Congrats!

I did look at the competition results and noticed something a little odd....someone's "old speckled rooster" came in 1st under the English Pale Ale category but it was listed as a Special/Best/Premium Bitter. If I recall, Old Speckled Hen (which I think this person was referring to on the commercial side) is an ESB by category. Of course, like our head brewer always said...you enter the beer on what it is...not what you want it to be. Maybe it should have been called Young Speckled Chick (less body and less oomph).

Old 07-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #40
Peruvian802
Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyduck View Post
Love honey beers and have made the original several times. IMO, the addition of 1/3 Honey malt really imarts a true honey flavor as the actual honey ferments out completely dry.
I agree that a little honey malt in this recipe would be a good thing. I assume you mean 1/3# not 1/3 of the total grain bill. That stuff is apparently quite strong.