Alternative Sugar Beer White House Honey Ale: 2nd Place, 2013 Chicago Cup - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty, Fruit, Historical, Other Homebrew Recipes > Alternative Sugar Beer White House Honey Ale: 2nd Place, 2013 Chicago Cup

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2013, 05:06 AM   #31
kevokie
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Bristow, OK
Posts: 472
Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dahray02 View Post
can anyone covert this to a partial mash recipe?
I'm not using a program or anything, but this is what I would do for a partial mash.

4.5 lbs light DME OR 5.6 lbs light LME
1 lbs pale malt
1 lbs Munich Malt
1 lb. Wheat Malt
0.75 lb. Caramel Malt 20L
1 lb. Honey

Mash grains at 151F for 60 minutes

Everything else remains the same.

genel41 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #32
Rustyduck
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Seaside, Oregon
Posts: 12
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Love honey beers and have made the original several times. IMO, the addition of 1/3 Honey malt really imarts a true honey flavor as the actual honey ferments out completely dry.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:47 AM   #33
raidershero
Recipes 
 
Apr 2013
San Diego, CA
Posts: 10

Well after much deliberation I decided I under-carbed this one pretty good. Couple that with my OG of 1.065 and I got a very boozy ale. I really think my perle and London ale yeast substitutions have given this beer a truly peculiar character. I think I used just shy of 5 oz of corn sugar for a 5 gallon batch. According to the carbonation chart I followed that amount should be appropriate for the style. Any idea why my carb levels came out so low? It was low enough that even my wife noticed. :-P

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidershero View Post
I think I used just shy of 5 oz of corn sugar for a 5 gallon batch. According to the carbonation chart I followed that amount should be appropriate for the style. Any idea why my carb levels came out so low? It was low enough that even my wife noticed. :-P
5 ounces is fine for bottle carbonating. How long has it been, at least two or three weeks? Also when you wrote "I think I used . . ." is it possible that you're not sure how much you used?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #35
raidershero
Recipes 
 
Apr 2013
San Diego, CA
Posts: 10

No I definitely used just under 5oz. I did sound uncertain in that post, sorry. I remember weighing out to about 4.75oz of dextrose. I fermented for 2 weeks in primary (i don't usually use a secondary) and bottle conditioned for 3 at around 70 degrees. Then they went to the fridge to sit about 2 more weeks at about 33/34 degrees.

I sampled all throughout the process and found it to taste very boozy. I figured it would settle down after a few weeks. I'll have to give it some more time to see, but they're almost all gone. The family loved it, despite my criticism.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidershero View Post
No I definitely used just under 5oz. I did sound uncertain in that post, sorry. I remember weighing out to about 4.75oz of dextrose. I fermented for 2 weeks in primary (i don't usually use a secondary) and bottle conditioned for 3 at around 70 degrees. Then they went to the fridge to sit about 2 more weeks at about 33/34 degrees.

I sampled all throughout the process and found it to taste very boozy. I figured it would settle down after a few weeks. I'll have to give it some more time to see, but they're almost all gone. The family loved it, despite my criticism.
One thought about carbonation is to check a bottle for carbonation before moving all of them to the fridge. Have you had issues with carbonation in previous batches? If not, I think you may have just chilled them too early, although three weeks is often/usually plenty to carbonate.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #37
raidershero
Recipes 
 
Apr 2013
San Diego, CA
Posts: 10

Yeah I was checking them periodically like I said. The carbonation felt a little weird but like you stated, 3 weeks should have been plenty.

One thing to consider though... my pint bottles seemed slightly more carbonated than my bombers. Coincidence?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:54 AM   #38
JDFlow
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Seattle, WA
Posts: 453
Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts


FYI

ALL-GRAIN TO EXTRACT
Amount of pale malt x .8125 = amount of liquid malt extract
(example: 8 lbs. pale malt x .8125 = 6.5 lbs. liquid malt extract)

Amount of pale malt x .6875 - amount of dry malt extract (DME)
(example: 8 lbs. pale malt x .6875 = 5.5 lbs. dry malt extract)

Amount of wheat malt x .937 = amount of liquid wheat malt extract
(example: 6.5 lbs. wheat malt x .937 = 6.1 lbs. liquid malt extract)

genel41 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #39
Kuhndog
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Pennsyltucky, PA
Posts: 198
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts


Isn't the President from Chicago? I detect an advantage in the competition just with the name.

Just kidding. It does look like a pretty good recipe and I'm sure I'll try it as I'm a fan of english style anything. Congrats!

I did look at the competition results and noticed something a little odd....someone's "old speckled rooster" came in 1st under the English Pale Ale category but it was listed as a Special/Best/Premium Bitter. If I recall, Old Speckled Hen (which I think this person was referring to on the commercial side) is an ESB by category. Of course, like our head brewer always said...you enter the beer on what it is...not what you want it to be. Maybe it should have been called Young Speckled Chick (less body and less oomph).

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #40
Peruvian802
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Green Mountains, Vermont
Posts: 1,589
Liked 463 Times on 284 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyduck View Post
Love honey beers and have made the original several times. IMO, the addition of 1/3 Honey malt really imarts a true honey flavor as the actual honey ferments out completely dry.
I agree that a little honey malt in this recipe would be a good thing. I assume you mean 1/3# not 1/3 of the total grain bill. That stuff is apparently quite strong.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
American Pale Ale First Place 2013 Chicago Winter Brew Competition - Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale Pappers_ Homebrew Ale Recipes 27 09-15-2013 01:20 AM
First Place APA at the 2013 Chicago Winter Brew Competition Pappers_ Recipes/Ingredients 8 03-06-2013 01:43 AM
White House Honey Ale - adding more honey brewinginbham General Beer Discussion 4 01-27-2013 04:12 AM
NB White House Honey Ale timdurning Extract Brewing 3 12-21-2012 04:46 PM
Chicago Southwest Side and Burbs: White House Honey Ale Brewing on Saturday Pappers_ Great Lakes Homebrew Forum 2 09-19-2012 12:48 AM


Forum Jump