4 KG (8.8lbs) Briess Golden Light DME (70.8%)
1 KG (2.2lbs) Munich Malt (17.7%)
250g (8.8oz) Peated Malt (4.42%)
250g (8.8oz) Cara-Pils/Dextrine (4.42%)
150g (5.3oz) Chocolate Malt (2.65%)
4KG (8.8lbs) total of Raspberries
30g (1oz) East Kent Goldings Hops (60 Min Boil)
30g (1oz) Liberty Hops (30 Min Boil)
30g (1oz) Liberty Hops (15 Min Boil)
30g (1oz) Liberty Hops (Flameout)
I used the BIAB method to mash my grains at 65.5ºC (150F) for 60 min. I sparged with 76.6ºC (170F) water by slowly sifting the water over the bag as it sat in a strainer over my boil pot. I did not compress or otherwise try and hasten the sparge by squeezing the bag. I RDWHAHB.
I used a trivet on my electric stove top to reduce the risk of scorching my grains and/or extract. If you don't have a suitable trivet, I suggest putting down a few pennies between the element and your pot. If you have the luxury of a garage with a propane burner; more power to you, but I live in a condo.
I boiled my wort and added the extract as soon as it hit the boil. Some people prefer to leave extract until the last 15 minutes, but I like to get it in right away depending on the beer I am making. I added my hops according to the hop schedule above. At 15 minutes remaining, I added 2KG (4.4lbs) of fresh raspberries which I had previously frozen and then thawed. I also added a small amount of Irish Moss and also my home made immersion chiller which I made from this tutorial
After cooling my wort to 18ºC (64F) and agitating it, I topped my primary up to 25L (6.6 gal). The OG came out to 1.071 and my target FG was 1.018. I pitched with a smack pack of Belgian Ale yeast 1214 which I had allowed to start for 3-4 hours ahead of time. I fermented for 2 weeks, then racked onto another 2KG (4.4lbs) of frozen and then thawed Raspberries. Before I added the Raspberries to my carboy, I brought them up to aprox. 54ºC (130F) in about 2L (.5 gal) of water after first rinsing them all in StarSan. I don't know if that was really necessary, but I did it anyway "just in case". I added a pack of brettanomyces to the secondary, and boy did it ferment the added fruit sugars in a hurry! Almost had a blow off disaster when my blowoff clogged due to all the Raspberry pips in it! After 4 weeks in the carboy, I bottled with 122g (4.3oz) of Dextrose for a desired 2.00 atmospheres of CO2 at 23.3ºC (74F) for several weeks.
Some things I didn't plan for, but happened anyway; a) After racking onto the Raspberries, I suddenly had about 3L (.8 gal) of extra beer with nowhere to put it... so of course I just bottled it off and called it my "special dubbel". It isn't as sour or Raspberry flavored as the rest, but it's pretty darn good. b) in my original recipe, I had planned on using only 50g (1.76oz) of Chocolate Malt, but I accidentally dumped in everything that I had left in my little container... it worked out well, and now I wouldn't change a thing.
If anyone tries this recipe out, please let me know how you liked it, (or didn't). For me, this is now one of my favorite recipes and I will definitely be making it again! It ages well, and in fact after 6 months I think it's much better than when it was younger!